dirty fuel = stuttering?

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be?

My girlfriend drives a Corsa 1.4 it's a fairly nippy car around the town but recently it's occurred a problem.

Unexpectly while driving say 30mph / third gear (not under or over reving) the car stutters and swiftly you must hit the clutch to ease the engine then it will be fine again.

She took the car to a local garage where they discovered the fuel mixture was to rich so that was altered via the CPU, the mechanic replaced the spark plugs (even though the old ones had only seen 8k miles) also she recently filled the car with a full tank of petrol and it was suggested she may of purchased dirty fuel so an addictive was poured into the fuel tank. (What could that of been?)

For the next 60 miles the car was back to its old self but the next day guess what?! Yeap the stuttering reappeared so she left the car at home. Strangely enough tonight after leaving the car alone for 2 days I gave the car a welly around the block and all seems fine again.

So what could the problem be?

I've been told by non-experts it could either be: -

1) Dirty fuel 2) Knocking sensor on the way out 3) Fuel injector broken 4) My girlfriend is a car breaker

Please help!

Reply to
dave F

The message from "dave F" contains these words:

Eh - that doesn't sound right.

Reply to
Guy King

Blocked fuel filter?

Reply to
Conor

Lambda sensor.

Reply to
SteveH

Are they easy to replace? Does replacing a Lambda sensor require a special tool?

Reply to
dave F

As the problem comes and goes plus the fact the engine sounds fine a blocked fuel filter could be a possibility.

What an earth would you discover in the filter , surely the fuel should be crystal clean? I guess debris from the fuel nozzle could fall into the fuel tank.

Reply to
dave F

About £35, if you get it from a local motor factor rather than the main dealer.

Tools needed to change - 1 spanner of the right size. ISTR the last one I did was 24mm, but I could be wrong.

Takes about 20 minutes.

Reply to
SteveH

Fairly easy,unless it's truly rusted in, the proper lamda socket makes it easier but it's not vital.

Reply to
DuncanWood

20minutes? Is it a difficult job? Why so long?

thanks Steve for your help

Reply to
dave F

20 mins isn't long.... you have pop open the bonnet, find the sensor (which will be in a very tight spot with difficult access), carefully disconnect the wires, unscrew the old sensor, replace with the new one, using coppaslip to ensure it doesn't get rusted in, replace wires... that's an easy 20 minutes in my book.

Of course, if the old one's rusted in, then it could take significantly longer.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from "dave F" contains these words:

You can get special sockets for 'em (they have leads hanging out which make ordinary sockets unsuitable) but a ring-spanner usually does the trick. You can get universal sensors - but might need to be OK with a smouldering iron to fit one.

Reply to
Guy King

It'll be the knocking sensor. That means no shagging in the motor.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

After your posts Steve I've been doing a bit of research and found this website

shows pictures for the various conditions the sensor can be found whichmight give a signal what the problem is. (cheers) I'll have to try and find the sensor now - anyone got a clue where it can be found on a corsa?

Reply to
dave F

It's on the exhaust downpipe, after the 4-branch 'manifold' bit - usually just before it disappears under the engine.

Before you go ripping it out and replacing it, find somewhere quiet and see if you can replicate the effect at the same engine rpm in several gears on a consistant basis (the engine needs to be warmed up fully to do this, as there's a bypass for the lambda sensor when the engine's cold) - just as a double check that's what's causing it.

I'd hate someone to go out and get themselves a new part on the strength of an amateur's remote diagnosis!

Reply to
SteveH

Also just found this

"It had a lambda sensor replaced at 70,000 miles as the car was running unsteady at constant throttle positions. It has now started to run unsteady again and will probably require another sensor."

Well that's kind of what's been going and its almost hitting the 65k mileage so it must be a good idea to investigate.

Reply to
dave F

Yeap done that and it was a bit funny when consantly running at the 3500rpm mark (the point where you could up a gear) - I'll give it another go tomorrow

Cheers for your help!

Reply to
dave F

Why is that? Maybe its called an ECU?

Reply to
dave F

Could it be an intermittent/dodgy spark plug lead?

I had something like this years ago on a Vauxhall as well. The garage never found anything wrong but over time it got bad enough to get the AA out and they fixed it. The cause: at service time, mechanics would extract the plug leads from the hot engine by pulling on the cool leads rather than grabbing the hot heat shields. The leads only last so long before they break internally with this kind of abuse.

Reply to
Zathras

How about it's just been very pigging wet for the last month?

Peter Hill

I can vouch for this as I had exactly the same problem with a Cavalier.

Before getting stuck into fuelling issues, I'd get a replacement set of plug leads.

Reply to
Mark