Discs/Pads gone again in 3 months !!!!

Took my Kia to a Nationwide Autocentre last October because there was a serious shake when braking. They told me that the front disks were warped and worn down, so changed them and the brake pads.

Seemed OK for a few weeks but then the problem returned. Took it back to Nationwide and they couldnt find what the problem was and suggested taking it to the Kia dealer.

Today, the Kia dealer have told me that it needs new disks and pads on the front !!! Disks apprently are nadly scored and pads are down to

2mm. I told them that they had just been changed a few months ago. Anyway, they reckon they HAVENT been changed.

Spoke to Nationwide and they say they were DEFINITELY CHANGED. Who do I believe?

Just wondering - is it possible that theres another, more serious, problem which is knackering both the disks and pads and that both garages are telling the truth? Is it possible that the disks/pads fitted were faulty?

Nationwide are looking at it again next week and say that the disks/ pads will be changed under warranty if they do need doing again.

Trouble is I dont want to end up having to back again in a few months if the disks/pads are knackered again...

Reply to
paulfoel

even the hardest road driver won't get through disks and pads in three months. the make of brake parts is almost entirely irrelevant to their life, genuine ones are probably a little better, but not noticeably in real terms.

go with the firm that supplied them and see what they say

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeh. Nationwide have agreed to look at it again and replace the disks. They were a bit iffy about doing the pads for free though.

I had the pads changed in March last year, and then again in November when the disks were changed, so I aint paying for them again. If the disks have warped or got scored and its knackered the pads, then I dont see why I should have to pay.

Reply to
paulfoel

Yeh. Nationwide have agreed to look at it again and replace the disks. They were a bit iffy about doing the pads for free though.

I had the pads changed in March last year, and then again in November when the disks were changed, so I aint paying for them again. If the disks have warped or got scored and its knackered the pads, then I dont see why I should have to pay.

the most common reason for warped discs is poor fitting, not removing every last trace of rust and scale from the mounting surface can lead to disk run out and after a while disc thickness variations and the shuddering brakes. after fitting the discs should be checked for run-out with a dial gauge and any excess deviation repaired or rectified.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Funnily enough, Nationwide did mention run-out. They also mentioned that they didnt have a 'clock' to check this (and they might try to get hold of one).

Hmmm. Like I said, it was great for about a month or two and then the problems started up again. I wonder if this is what the problem is?

But, what if the problem is the mounting surface? If this is warped or whatever and the disks are fitted to this, wouldnt this same problem occur? BTW. Is it the wheel hub that the disks are mounted on?

Reply to
paulfoel

Friend of mine had discs and pads replaced at nationwide and a month or so later he was gettign juddering on braking. Nationwide couldn't find anything wrong with it so he took it to the delaer and they said the caliper hadn't been refitting properly and had been wobbling in it's fittings causing irrepairable damage to the caliper, pads and discs. So he got them to put new ones on. Now, whether nationwide or BMW are the ones ripping him off or both I wouldn't like to say.

Get them done, free of charge and look at them when you get the car back to assure yourself they had been replaced. I reckon you could tell a 3 month old worn disc from a many year old one by the corrosion or lack thereof.

Which branch is it?

Reply to
adder1969

Sounds very similar to my situation.... Buggered if I'm going to pay for new disks/pads though !!!!

Yeh. Funny thing is the Kia tech swears blind they aint been replaced. Then again, like you said, if they havent fitted it all back together properly, it is possible to knacker the disks. I suppose apart from a lack of corrosion, disks knacked in this way, may look like they've been 'worn' a long time.

To be fair to Nationwide though, I've been going there years and never had any problems before...

Nationwide Autocentre - Newport, Ebenezer Terrace

Kia - Evans Halshaw, Cardiff.

Reply to
paulfoel

if everything is scrupulously clean and there is still runout , then the next bit is the hub.

any competent brake place will have equipment to check runout. Ask what accreditation they have in the way of bs5580 (or whatever it is), supposedly this shows competence and standards, which it sounds like they don't have.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In my experience, the most common reason for a garage to say your discs have warped is becasue you tell them the car shudders under braking. Like the OP has said the garage didn't check for runout. In my experience almost every time this symptom occurs it's due to worn suspension parts like bushes or balljoints.

Reply to
adder1969

well theres your problem.

Reply to
reg

The discs/pads on my last escort would last 18K tops (my current escort has done over 60K on the current set & there's still plenty of pad left), then after fitting new rear shoes & auto-adjusters the rears would stick on, turned out to be a dodgy master cyclinder.

Reply to
dean clayton

So checking the runout is a must then?

Is that the proper term 'run out'? What exactly are you measuring here?

Reply to
paulfoel

all discs should be checked for run out when they are fitted.

it is a measure of how much the braking surface moves left and right when the disc turns . ideally it would be zero. check the workshop manual for your allowable limit, kia sedona max runout is 0.05mm (which is relatively large) most say 0.03mm max. Usually new discs will have parallel sides, after some use if the runout is high then the disc thisckness will vary and shudder results. As some one else said any play in any suspension/steering parts will show up the slightest fault as a shudder under braking.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I've never bothered, and I've never seen anybody else bother.

Just make sure the mounting face on the hub is properly clean.

Reply to
Adrian

I never said everyone did. But they should be , it is part of the correct procedure as detailed on the fitting instructions. It is particularly important when replacing shuddering discs. discs which have just worn thin and don't shudder are not the problem ones and I agree most people would not bother to check in those circumstances.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

gustavfenk

gustavfenk

gustavfenk

I was always under the impression that there is no such thing as a "warped" brake disc and it's just a euphemism used by garages for "Gullible fool - lets charge him for some unnecessary work".

Just how can a bloody great chunk of steel like a brake disc actually "warp"? They can wear unevenly (due to the pads sticking and tearing off chunks of the surface) or be mounted out of true leading to judder, but the force required to actually bend one must be massive.

Reply to
gustavfenk

I think heat is more of the issue. Get them hot enough (like driving across/down Wrynose or Hardknott Pass - ) and they can get uneven heating, causing internal stresses etc which can cause ever so little distortion which can be quite noticeable when driving.

Other causes than hill descents can be riding the brake or stuck pads etc.

David Hearn