Discs/Pads gone again in 3 months !!!!

I once got through half a set of pads in a week - was down to the caliper on the side in question sticking, meaning the pads were constantly dragging and wearing.

Assuming Nationwide really did change the discs first time round, it might be worth getting them to check this isn't happening, both with the brakes cold and again after a run to get them nice and warm.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Hmm. Yeh, but in my case, assuming Nationwide did change the disks and pads last time around (it was November), then theres something not right if the disks are gone already.

Reply to
paulfoel

I have cable disks on a Mountain bike and the disks warp after a long decent in the alps or coming down a munro.

I could see someone warping disks with metal on metal !

Nick

Reply to
Nick (Scots)

So what exactly is run-out? What is it a measure of? How is it measured?

Reply to
paulfoel

paulfoel (paulfoel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Picture a disk spinning round. The faces of it should be spinning perfectly evenly, but sometimes there's a little bit of wobble, either because the disk itself isn't flat or it isn't mounted perfectly flat.

The run-out is how MUCH it's wobbling. It's measured using a dial gauge, which is mounted touching the face of the disk and records the amount of movement at the surface.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the explanation.

So a brand new disk should not be wobbling at all then?

What can cause this on a new disk?

Mounting surface? What about wear in the hub (is this the mounting surface)? Or other joints on the wheel?

Reply to
paulfoel

paulfoel (paulfoel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's s**te quality parts, then. They're fine when fitted, but warping overly quickly. It could be being exacerbated by driver issues, though - are you sitting hard on the brake pedal when the brakes are hot? That'll not help, because it'll conduct heat away from just one part of the disk more rapidly than the rest.

It might also be worth comparing pad wear rates between the two pads on each disk - if one cylinder is sticky or the sliding yokes are sticky, depending on caliper design, then the brakes could be being applied unevenly, which can also rapidly warp the disk.

Reply to
Adrian

Well. Its an automatic, so, yes, you do sit on the brakes...

How s**te can they be? Surely not bad enough to warp in 2 months ????

Reply to
paulfoel

paulfoel (paulfoel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

An automatic Kia. Are you 93 years old and 4'3"?

Kia parts from a fast-fit tyre outfit? If milk still came in glass bottles, they'd probably try to persuade the tinfoil tops to fit the hubs. And if they'd been pecked at by bluetits, then they'd charge you extra for a "performance upgrade" of cross-drilled disks.

Reply to
Adrian

"Warped disc" is more usually uneven pad material transfer to disc surface. A good hard application of the brake will often clean them up.

There are Tech service bulletins for some makes that state incorrect torquing of wheel nuts on alloy wheels can cause uneven clamping that warps the disc. Usually attributed to gung-ho merchants that use a rattle gun to fully tighten the nut.

Reply to
Peter Hill

There're some other aspects that you should know about:

John

Reply to
John Henderson

LOL. Its a Kia Sedona people-carrier BTW. And my wife mainly drives it and she likes automatics (I don't !)

Yeh, maybe, but I'd have thought that cheap parts for a Kia Sedona are not that popular. Its not like a Ford Fiesta where every tom, dick, and harry has a go at cheap parts !!!!

Reply to
paulfoel

John,

Great link - thanks...

Reply to
paulfoel

paulfoel (paulfoel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah. A Kia Sedative. Minicab, by any chance?

Korean car, so hooky far-eastern imports. We're in a global economy now, don'cha know?

Reply to
Adrian