DIY Car Immobiliser system ???

The best option, as mentioned before, is to have a visible deterrent such as a steering lock... however ...

The cheapest option by far, (and just as effective as an immobiliser in my view), is to have a nice bright sticker in the window saying "IMMOBILISER FITTED". If a thief is going to have a go at nicking your car, he is going to do the damage anyway so its irrelevent wether it really has an immobiliser anyway. The key word is 'deterrent', you dont even want him to 'have a go' in the first place!

Reply to
Not in my trousers

They don't take any notice of stickers. The last vehicle of mine to have an attempt at theft was a non running sierra. It had immobiliser stickers, a visible place for the immobiliser fob with a flashing light next to it. They got in using a key, smashed the covers off and cut the wires to the ign switch, damaged the steering lock, but of course found that the immobiliser prevented anything from happening (it could not run even with the immobiliser key in as the engine is borked) They then went away. If I had had a nice big disclock on, then I am sure they would not have bothered to even get in. My other cars, even my old metro have a disclock or stoplock pro on them, none of those are touched no matter where they are left. A loud alarm system can be a deterrent, but it will usually only go off once damage has been done, wheras a visible physical deterrent avoids even that damage. Leaving a dog in the car does not work either as my relative found out, when his car was left while he went into a shop, he returned to find the dog being dragged away and a pykie asking him for 500 pounds or the dog would be killed, while he watched. he eventually paid 300 pounds and got the dog back. (rural Kent, within the last year)

mrcheerful (not a believer in immobilisers on older cars)

Reply to
mrcheerful

]> >

]> > the point is that the car is likely to be left alone , the steering lock ]> > will easily transfer to your next vehicle too. eigthy quid is b all ]> > compared to the cost of a broken window, smashed ign switch and ]cowlings, ]> > which is the minimum a thief will do before discovering that there is an ]> > immobiliser. ]> >

]> >

]>

[...]

Bolt cutters to cut off the stearing wheel, and griplocks to steer the car with.

Reply to
Bill Unruh

"IMMOBILISER

Have you actually seen a disclock or ever cut off a steering wheel??

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful