Alarm system problems

I have a 1997 Jetta GLs, and recently the battery was drained when I left a domelight on. When I tried to jump the battery, the alarm system went off.

A dealer later told me that you have to press a button that "fools" the car into thinking the trunk is shut, set up your battery cables, lock and then unlock the door to turn off the alarm system.

Is this laborious procedure really necessary? I didn't even get a chance to see if it worked, since we just towed the car to the dealer and replaced the battery (it was quite old anyway).

Reply to
Jason Bourgeois

I also am having difficulty with the alarm system on my 97 Golf.

Its an intermittent problem, but happens enough to be annoying.

I open the drivers side door, get in, put the key in the ignition and try to start the car. The doors lock and the alarm goes off. I unlock the door, get out, lock and unlock the door, get in and try again. It sometimes starts. Other times I have to open an close the trunk a few times, then it starts.

Other times the car will start and seconds later the alarm will go off. You can then drive the car with the flasher going on (I have disconnected the alarm horn). It goes off eventually. I have stolen my own car now many times now!

In the last few weeks, here in Northern Virginia, its been snowing and freezing rain. A new symptom of the problem has emerged. If you start the car and get out to chip ice off the windows, the alarm will go off and you will be locked out of the car.

Looking at the wiring diagram of the alarm and power lock system, it's hard to isolate the problem.

I am wondering if others have seen these systems go bad, and if there is a pattern of failure that's typical with these cars. I tried disconnecting the alarm module, but the car won't start at all without it.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
Spritalite

All I have ever done was lock/unlock the drivers door if the alarm goes off after replacing the battery.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I was trying to check this problem out on a 98 Jetta. I was told by one of the VW gurus that you can disconnect the alarm module and connect the starter terminals with 10ga wire.

I was also informed to check the wiring to all of the doors, trunk and hood switches. It could be a wiring issue. This car had the wiring harness destroyed to the LR door. I just don't know if I correct the wiring will cause the alarm to function properly since I have not gotten the 98 Jetta back in yet!

let us know what you find/do and good luck! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Well documented problem with this series car. Open each rear door and peel back the rubber boot around the wiring bundle. Chances are very high that several wires are scraped clean of insulation. If so, that is your problem.

No rear doors? Look at the fr> I also am having difficulty with the alarm system on my 97 Golf. >

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Mike Spera