DIY dent removal - tools?

Is there anything available to have a go at pulling out a dent yourself?

Like magnet/sucker or whatever?

Reply to
paulfoel

My local motor factor/tool store has a heavy duty sucker type device designed just for this. Phone around a few and you'll probably find one.

Reply to
Andy Larder

I've tried a sucker device before and it was crap almost did more damage than good.

Reply to
johnbond

Hi Paul, something like this on our website?

Sealey

Draper
Regards

Tom

Reply to
Classic-Car-World Ltd

If you've got any chance of getting at the back of the panel, buy a £15 set of panel beating hammers and do that that way...

Reply to
Doki

Yep, suckers only work on large dents without ripples.

Although more often than not, people who tend to try the hammer and dolly route themselves generally make more of a mess, you should take the vehicle it to a reputable car body shop for repair.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

IME it's not horifically difficult. I'd not start messing about on an otherwise good and difficult to replace panel on a newish car (say a quarter panel), but if you go for lots of light taps rather than wanging it one as I imagine most people's instinct is, you can make a dent a lot less noticeable if not remove it. Often you can get rid of a lot of dents with a good slap or punch...

Reply to
Doki

Any experience removing tiny knuckle impact sized dents from outside only?

Reply to
Coyoteboy
[snip]

Its not overly difficult if you know what you're doing, but it does depend on the type of dent and where it is situated etc. I found nearly every car brought in for dent repairs after the owner had attempted DIY panel beating made the repair harder to rectify.

However you can be lucky sometimes and just pop the dent out with a judicious thump from behind the panel or a single pull from the front with a sucker, leaving no trace of damage whatsoever.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Probably easiest to smack them about right with a hammer then put some filler on...

Reply to
Doki

For tiny knuckle dents.... no hammer just dent irons. Of course, you need to know how to use them.

Alt Beer

Alt Beer proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Cant get behind the dents in a few of the locations :( I'll attempt to clear up the big door-ding one day, just havent got the balls as I'm bound to make it worse!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Classic-Car-World Ltd proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

I've got some of them, never considered using them for dent pulling- used them for putting windows in - beware, if you dont keep the two handles squeezed VERY TIGHTLY together the window falls out of the first floor level and smashes on your father below. This often ends in deep cuts and concussion, both for you and him.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Snag is then matching the paint. The trick with small dent removal is to do it without damaging the paint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)