Starting problems (again)

I posted a little while back about starting problems with my 1.4petrol 2004 Fiesta. I'd put it down to using my sat nav, but I've now ruled that out.

Bascially what happens is that whenever I've been on a longish trip where the engine has been worked hard and then I leave the car for a few hours, or overnight, it will refuse to start again, I just get a grindnig noise whenever I turn the key. Once I bump start it, it will run fine and start again on the key no problem, until the next time I go on a longish trip.

95% of the time it starts without any dramas whatsoever, I mostly do journeys of 20 minutes or less. But whenever I've been out for a 'drive', it won't start the next day.

Any ideas?

It's being chucked at the garage next week anyway for another reason but I'd like some clue before it goes. I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, as I've replaced that and the problem remains. It's reading 12v with engine off and

14v with engine on so I don't think it's the alternator either. The only thing I can think of is something is not reacting well to the engine being hot then cold again?!
Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Your first action needs to be to identify the source of the grinding noise. Next time you've been for a long drive and you suspect it won't start, open the bonnet and get someone to listen where the noise is coming from, or someone to turn the key while you listen.

My guess is that it will be coming from the starter. If so, it will probably be cured by changing the starter.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

As it's happening when I turn the key I doubt it could be anything else. Could that noise be indicative of a lack of electricity to run the starter or do you think it's more likely a mechanical issue/

Do you have any idea why it will only cause problems after the long drives and not the rest of the time? It's the easiest car in the world to start when it's not exhibiting its problems!

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Heat-soak- the starter is under the exhaust manifold.

Change the starter.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Logically, it's heat related, as Tim says.

Reply to
DervMan

I suspect that might be the issue, but knowing nothing about the configuration of engines I could not be certain. Is heat soak a particular issue with starter motors?

Will do! (Well the garage will do, under warranty!)

Reply to
Mark Hewitt