DMF or solid flywheel?

2008 Golf 5 1.9tdi 150K making a funny noise at idle DMF suspected

Is replacing it urgent or could it be left for 20K miles?

Is it worth paying extra for a DMF or would a cheaper solid flywheel be fine?

Reply to
Dogous

I would stick to the DMF engines not designed for a solid flywheel

Reply to
steve robinson

I concur. There are a few issues with a solid flywheel:

1) Gearboxes are built to cost, and suffer from the power drive impulses from an engine with solid flywheel. DMFs smooth out drive from your 4 or so cylinders. 2) The directly coupled flywheel in a DMF is lighter, and so crank vibration modes are higher in frequency. Using a solid flywheel, resonances will occur at lower engine revs and less likely to be absorbed, depending on the design of the DMF.

My conclusion some time ago was to replace like with like.

Reply to
Fredxx

Was looking at solid but intending to go with DMF now. Thanks to you both.

Reply to
Dogous