funny noise?

I noticed a strange noise coming from the left hand rear side of my car today which only happens when braking. It sounds like a grating/dragging sound and is loud enough to hear clearly with the windows closed and the radio on. It's a Seat Ibiza and is only 6 months old. I'm going to be ringing the dealer tomorrow so they can have a look but thought I'd ask for any ideas as to what it might be here in the meantime. Mel.

Reply to
MELANIE MCDONALD

That noise would normally indicate the brakes were worn out on that wheel, but this is hugely unlikely on a car so new unless you do an enormous mileage.

It may be something innocuous like a mudflap hanging loose and swinging forward to touch the tyre when you brake, or possibly a small stone has got in there, but I would rate that also as unlikely. I would have a look in daylight to see if anything is touching the wheel before going to the dealer.

And we'd all be interested to see what it turns out to be.

HTH Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'll have a look at the mud flaps etc in the morning. I did get down under the car tonight and couldn't see anything out of place but it's worth another look. As for mileage, it's done less than 4000 miles. Mel.

Reply to
MELANIE MCDONALD

Sounds like a small stone or grit has got between the pad and the disk if you have rear disks. You should be able to see a score mark on the disk if you can see through the wheel/cover if it is this.

Reply to
Stuart Gray