Door mirror heaters

Anyone know a source of these - the actual cards only - or of cheapish replacement mirror glasses for any car that have them so I could transfer them to mine? The correct ones are NLA for my SD1.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

hang on I am just punching the data into my Enigma machine................

Reply to
Lez Pawl

In news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Lez Pawl wittered on forthwith;

According to the latest research, the OP is asking where to get the mirror heaters for a Rover SD1 door mirror as the originals are no longer available.

I'd suggest Runcorn SD1 centre, or Freckleton Rover spares.

You could try Rimmer Bros, but they tend to be a bit expensive for this kind of stuff.

Reply to
Pete M

Last time I looked, Halfords had a range of them. I know some people don't like Halfords but I've generally had good experiences with them!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd be trying to find some that are as close in shape as possible. On all three cars I've had to replace heated mirror glasses with (CX, XM and Mk3 Golf) the elements have been integral with the glass itself.

Reply to
Adrian

I've never tried, but thermal glueing a 20Ohm resistor to the back of the mirror sounds like an option.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As I understand it you just stick the replacement glass over the old broken mirror and the heater still works through it.

No, I don't believe it either...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Might it be worth asking somewhere like...

They don't list it, but may have contacts who can obtain them...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Dave is looking for the heater elements on their own. Not the mirrors. On the SD1 the door mirror elements are on a card, approx the size of a credit card, stuck onto the back of an otherwise std mirror. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Just a thaught, but with suitable wire. Tungsten I believe, could they not be rewired, or new ones made. I know the wire is fairly easy to obtain, possibly from a model shop, as it is used for cutting expanded polystyrene model wing sections etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Err, when I said NLA that's what I meant. Of course you might get secondhand ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - I've never looked at a 'new' one. So it's a bit like a heated window?

The SD1 type has a stuck on element - rather like the sort you used to get for rear windows.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sort of, but not really.

On all the ones I've done, there's the mirror glass, then the element's stuck to the back of that, then there's the plastic backing which actually attaches it - a bit more like a heating element under a tiled floor, IYSWIM...

But it's definitely not "a separate bit".

Reply to
Adrian

Ah - right. So that's the same as the ones on my car.

It would have started out as one before being glued on, though? And could probably be separated? At the end of the day the 'glue' can only be as strong as the silver mirroring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Had a look round Halfords, and they don't appear to do any heated replacements.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They used to do them to order.Can you get a larger one cut down?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I know, hence my "I don't believe it" comment which you snipped!

Reply to
Chris Bolus