Driving just bought car home and insurance.

DT,

Make the "delivery" of the car a term of the sale, have the car delivered to your relative's driveway, and complete the exchange of money and documents. It would be nice if you are able to give the seller a ride home.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Sadly, we know, the police no longer trust the policy as proof. Which raises the question on what timescale is the MID updated ? Hourly ? Daily ? When it feels like it ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That one, IME. I've been pulled twice for having no insurance, when I have had insurance, both times the day after changing cars. It's not really an inconvenience, just a bit annoying.

Reply to
Mike P

But given that *some* police stops have resulted in the car being impounded, it's a helluva risk.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Viewing is not the same as going back to sign the deal.

Reply to
DavidR

Direct Line. It probably makes a difference whether you have a car with them already.

Reply to
DavidR
[...]

Ah, OK.

I used to use them, but found they couldn't get within 50UKP of the best Confused.com quotes for me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

'Viewing' as in a car, would imply 'test-driving' to most people.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

No, but the latter may be within an hour or two of the former. If you know for hours beforehand that you will definitely be buying the car, you have ample time to arrange insurance.

Reply to
Cynic

There are many car sellers who will not permit anyone to test-drive the car, and I don't blame them. You have no idea what sort of driver they are. IME the test-drive usually consists of the *seller* driving whilst the potential buyer sits in the passenger seat. YMMV.

Reply to
Cynic

And my simple rule is "No drivey, no buyey".

Reply to
Huge

I don't know if this is still the case, but I recall phoning my broker regarding picking up a newer vehicle. They said that I would have to inform them of a change of vehicle within a week, and that in the mean time the new vehicle would only be covered third party until I informed them of the vehicle's details.

Perhaps general policy wording has since changed?

Reply to
Fredxx

It always varied between policys and still does.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yup, never ever bought a car of someone who behaved like that.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In this case the 'viewing' was of a car being sold by a trader and make no firm agreement. There was still the opportunity to go back look and hand over the cash or walk away. (Except my son wanted to buy over a freezing Christmas break before going back to uni so it was a balance between being selective and keeping warm. Fortunately 6 months later his grandmother sold him her car for a good price.)

Reply to
DavidR