Dud alternator

I have just fitted a battery to the Herald for the first time in 8 years (long restoration with the end almost in sight). When I do, the "indicator light" output of the nice brand new Lucas LRA100 goes to

+12V instead of the expected 0V - I've checked it under load, so it's not just a drift up).

A spare LRA100 I have lying around seems to work fine, so it's going in for the moment. Some advice on the dud would be welcome ... is this likely to be the regulator, in which case it's a cheap repair, or is it likely to be something nastier?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I take it this is with the alternator not turning and the ignition on, so the warning light is off, but should be on?

The last time I had an alternator expire, it was the diode pack that went. The symptoms were that the warning light was off (+12V) all the time the ignition was on (engine running or not) and on (0V) when the ignition was off. It also sunk about 5A into its main output terminal when not turning, but charged OK otherwise. Presumably, one or more diodes wasn't blocking too well.

My money would be on the diode pack (also cheap) especially if the rest of your symptoms match mine...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

That takes me back - our Herald had a generator and positive earth.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Yes. Actually, a bit more than that ...

When the ignition is off, the warning light comes on, running between

12V from the alternator and an earth through other switched +ve stuff. When the ignition is on, the switched +ve goes up to 12V too so the warning light goes out.

Thanks for the advice ... a new diode pack is cheap and can't hurt.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Probably the diode pack, you might as well change th reg at the same time though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oops - yep, I got the symptoms right, but cocked up the cause. The warning light output would have stayed at +12V all the time as you say, with the unpowered ignition loads pulling down the other side of the warning light with the ignition is off.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Those symptoms could also be caused by a bad earth to the alternator.

Reply to
moray

It's brand new you said? Get it changed.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'vetruled that out because it's got two ruddy great bolts holding it to the engine, which is properly earthed. But I'll have a look for a missing earth inside the casing ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Bought five+ years ago in a sale...

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I've seen those two big ruddy great bolts not have a good earth though...

Reply to
moray

Me too, especially if it's old and been sat for a while. Take the ruddy great bolts off, sand/file the faces clean and ruddy do them up again.

Have you checked the earth strap connections to the engine block too?

Reply to
PCPaul

I'm pretty certain you can get at the individual diodes (after you remove the pack) to check them with a DVM which has a diode test function - ie most. The reading should be the voltage drop - ie about 0.7v when connected correctly and zero with a reverse connection. Alternately with a simple resistance test a failed diode will almost certainly show a short circuit when connected either way, but near open circuit one way very low resistance the other.

There are usually 6 main diodes and 3 field ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Clean shiny alternator.

Yup. No problem. And it turns over just fine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian