E/W relay location (1998 Vauxhall Cavalier) ???

I have just been given a 1988 Vauxhall Cavalier GL (Auto)

The drivers e/w switch, when pressed simply jumps the window down about 1.5 inches then stops. I then need to keep pushing button again and again for it to keep going down I'm assuming the relay is not working correctly.

It isn't in the fuse box under the bonnet, or in the drivers compartment (I know this as pulling out relays still allows teh windows to work)

Any idea where I can find it?

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

Some of them have a maximum current trip which resets automatically. Could be your motor is drawing too much current due to friction in the system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are no relays in the electric window circuit. Assuming that you have the Mk3 Cavalier, then the electric window motor has a small control unit which oversees the operation of the motor. It could just need reprogramming (move window all the way to the top, then hold the button in the up position for 5 seconds), or the control unit could be faulty (which means motor replacement).

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

reprogramming

Ah - hmmmn, a new motor, OKay. Is it this that decides if the "go down in one click" or "nudge down" works when you push the button?

I'll try and re program in 5 - not hopeful though :o(

Yes - a MkIII Cavalier

Cheers :o)

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

Cheers

Anyone know if my MKIII has this?

That would mean a new motor like Anthony Britt suggested, yes?

Bummer, down the scrappy for me :o(

Another side note, my sunroof lifts up, but doesn't slide back (when you turn other way) - that's gonna be a bummer to fix

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

.. snip ..

If I shut window and push the window up button it goes:

push button ..instantly.. tick .. wait about 1/2 second ... tock ... nothing..

A bit like the noise a relay makes, but louder

The sound comes from inside the door

Any help?

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

That is the correct sequence of noises you should hear when programming the window motor. When I said there are no relays in the circuit, I meant in the vehicle wiring to the motors - there is a relay inside the motor and that is what you can hear clicking. The one-touch function should work now - if not then there is something up with the control unit on the motor. The control unit can be changed seperately from the motor, but you have to make sure you have exactly the same type as there several variations over the years.

Try pulling the electric window fuses out (green 30A blade fuse mounted in the fuse box in the dash) for 30 secs then re-insert to reset the motor ECU's.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

I'll do that cheers

Fingers crossed

Aaron Whiffin

Seems to be a common problem on older Cavs. Sunroof would slide open slightly then jam, accompanied by a crunching sound. Tried oiling/greasing/WD40ing all the visible bits to no avail but didn't fancy taking the whole mechanism out, so just got used to a tilt only sunroof.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

By the way, having you tried spraying WD40 or similar down the window guides, or scraping them out with a plastic scraper? If they're dirty or have anything stuck in them that can make the windows stick.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

I'll try WD40 at the wkend

Do these sunroofs have a mech that means if water breaks through the rubber it still wont leak?

I know my Golf GTi (1990) did, it had a guttering system - nice But my Pug 205 (1990) didn't

I don't wanna force it and open it if it'll leak :o(

And don't wanna tilt only sunroof!

Cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

Will do at wkend - cheers

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin

IIRC there are drains in the windscreen pillars which can be cleaned out using thin electrical wire or similar.

Like most things on Cavaliers, the sunroof mechanism is dead easy to remove. You can then (attempt to) slide it open by hand. Good luck!

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Nice - I like working on Cavs

Kinda makes me glad my last car blew up ;o)

Reply to
Aaron Whiffin