2000 4Runner power antenna doing strange stuff.

I knew it was just a matter of time... and yesterday my power antenna started acting up. When I turn the radio on, I can hear a click from inside the cab. I'm assuming that's some sort of relay turning on the power antenna motor. The antenna goes up about 6 niches and then goes back down about 2 inches. I hear 2 more clicks, once when the antenna reverses direction and again when it finally stops. When I turn the radio off I hear

2 more clicks... one when the antenna goes back down and another when it stops at its resting place.

I tried turning the radio on and pulling on the antenna thinking that maybe it's getting hung up or in a bind on some dirt or junk, but that didn't help. It's as if the antenna thinks that it's not supposed to go up any more than 6 inches (and then back down 2 inches.)

I've read through Google groups and it seems that most people who have power antenna problems hear the motor going but the antenna doesn't raise. That's not what I'm experiencing. I can only hear the motor when the antenna is actually moving. I'm wondering if maybe this is a bad relay. I also wonder if there's a way the cable may have come off the spindle and gotten wrapped around something. I don't know what the assembly looks like so that may not even be possible.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Many thanks, Mark.

Reply to
Mark