Easy to install fogs on Festa?

Hi all

I recently acquired some fog flights for a Mk4 Fiesta and would like to fit them, but since they are not standard on my car I need to do two things... (1) chop the grill to make space (easy), and (2) wire them up (not so easy).

Has anyone ever attempted to do this? Is it relatively easy?

Any advice appreciated! Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Yes but you really need the lower grille assembly from a car with fogs as its incorpourates the mouting lugs which the screws / adjusters screw into...

The wiring should already be there- you will need to add the appropriate fuse and relay in the engine fuse box and replace the lighting swich with one with the front fogs position.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I was thinking of just buying a new one... I have priced one at Ford and its only £11.35 +VAT

I have had a quick look and cannot see any wires hanging down. I am assuming they would be part of the set of wires that go to the headlights... I will have to have a closer look later.

Would the wire in the dashboard already be there as well... just waiting to be connected?

Thanks Moby.

Reply to
Moby

usually taped to the wiring loom, but you may have to hunt high and low. You could double check with the dealer where and how much wire is already there as Ford do a fog kit in a box which would contain all the required bits...

Should already be present in the multiplug connector that goes to the lights switch...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I couldnt find any spare wires anywhere, just one large set on the nearside part of the car and a smaller set on the offside. What looked like a wire dangling turned out to be for the fan and for the gearbox on the nearside.

I am picking up a fog switch from the dealer tomorrow - I'll ask them about the wires etc. and also the fuse/relays.

Yep, its there all right.

Cheers Moby.

Reply to
Moby

You'll know me because I'm the one who puts his lights on full beam to remind you when you've left your fog lights on.

Reply to
DP

I have checked with the dealer and they had a look - no wires there apparently.

Strangely these are there.

I have since purchased a wiring kit from Halfords ("ring") that seems really easy to fit. It has a fuse and a relay built in-line. However, since the wiring for the fog switch is already in place in the dashboard all I need to do is find the corresponding wiring in the auxilary fuse box and presumably make a decent connection.

Is there any easy way to trace the wiring? Does anyone know where the appropriate wiring is in the fuse box?

Many thanks Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Oh thats abit of a bitch. The 99 lx i installed some fogs on some time ago had the wiring. Anyway, if you have a haynes manual the wire colours should be shown on the appropriate wiring diagram.. If you feel able, I would dis-assemble the engine bay fuse box and see if the appropriate wire is hooked into the relevant fuse/relay holder.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tell me about it!

I've got a haynes and I had a play at lunch time. I used a multimeter and disconnected each relay in turn and measured the voltage through both fog light switches. The rear fog switch died after taking one of the relays out, but the front fog switch remained live. I need to track these wires somehow and i think mr haynes will come in to play.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Grand :)

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

All done - I worked out that there are a maximum of two orange wires that enter the auxilary fuse box, one for the front fogs that subsequently goes to the relay, and the other was a diesel heater (or something along those lines).

Of course, my Fiesta being a Petrol I connected the only orange wire to my wiring kit, installed the fogs, wired them up and hey presto.

Job done.

Thanks for all your help Tim, much appreciated.

Cheers Moby.

Reply to
Moby

Fab! Glad you got it sorted.