Spark Plug change on V6 Omega

Hi all, having done a google search for spark plug replacement for an Omega V6, it appears the V6 engine goes through the plugs at very short intervals.

  1. How easy is it to do yourself, considering most of the plugs are hidden from view. (I am spanner competent, but not a mechanic)

  1. Which type of plug should I fit, a standard NGK type or an NGK Iridium type (Platinum replacement) Price difference being £2.83 each (total £19.60 Inc Vat) for the Standard and £6.84 each (total £47.87 Inc Vat)for the Iridium. Would I notice the difference, is it a matter of lifespan or performance?

For anyone that's interested I found this site which is surprisingly cheap.

TIA for any advice or help.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

IIRC the remplacement interval for the plugs is 40K, which doesn't strike me as being that short. But anyway I had mine changed a little while back; at the same time as the cam cover gaskets. fairly fiddly job; I'm sure someone over on the yahoo 'omega_owners' group can give you a more specific answer.

In terms of plug type the favourite over on the aforementioned group is the proper vauxhall 4 electrode plug; which are obtainable over on

for around 2.50 each.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I had them changed yesterday at a VX dealer for only £38.00 Inc Vat, which I thought was damned good. They were so quick too and let me watch from a customer waiting area, job took about 30 mins. The car is nice and smooth again with loads of vroom, funny how you don't notice a slow depreciation of power. They also recommended running the V6 on 98 Ron as it's a high performance car, tell that to my wallet. They also said to change the plugs every six months/ 12000 miles which ever is sooner.

I suppose £38.00 every 12000 miles isn't too great a price to pay.

Right, oil and filter change next week I think.

Thanks for the advice and peeps that emailed me.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman