ECM code P-0401

My UK 2004 Focus TDCi is reporting error code $10 ECM P-0401 "exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient". It drives perfectly with no problem apparent, good fuel economy (50 mpg) and no black smoke. The engine management warning light came on about six months ago. I had the code reset and the light went out and stayed out until a few weeks ago when the light came on again. Yesterday I had the code reset again and the light is still out today.

As the car drives perfectly is this likely to be caused by an intermittent connector rather than a system fault?

Could anyone give me a clue as to which connector my be intermittent (and where it is located on the car).

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

do you run it on good quality diesel? most likely is that things are getting gunged up. take the egr valve off and have a look, this will clear up whether it is a real fault or just a reporting error.

Reply to
Mrcheerful