Electric cars.

I can't see that sort of life from the battery in a pure electric car. Different in a hybrid as they don't discharge them to the same extent. Do they provide an unconditional 7 year warranty on it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's not the way economics works.

Petrol/diesel goes up a bit, then something else like oil sands become viable. Plus, people take economy a bit more seriously. Walk to papershop instead of driving. Recycle more plastics.

Fission power becomes economically much more attractive. You can still synthesise hydrocarbons (at a price) given an energy source. So aeroplanes survive, for the rich and the military.

Reply to
newshound

toyota gave an 8 year warranty on all the electrics of the prius, I assume they still do.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes - that's a hybrid, which gives nothing like the pounding to the battery a pure electric car does. I read an article somewhere about converting one to pure electric, and it warned the battery life would be very much shorter.

Think cordless drills. The batteries on those don't last 8 years - regardless of how good a make. Once you start taking high current from it and running it near flat the life shortens dramatically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Iran or North Korea may be making one soon and taking it to a place near you.

Reply to
Rob

some of the electric cars have battery packs that you lease.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A lot of garages can't fix them, only certain of the agents. Front and back wheels on the Mitsubishi are different widths.

There is a tyre blow up kit with fluid & a compressor. I have been told if you use it the tyre can't be repaired. Also new kits costs nearly =A3100.

Reply to
harry

Apparently so. Exactly when it's deemed to be dead (gradual process) I don't know.

Reply to
harry

Sounds like a much improved thermopile.

Reply to
harry

There's been a lot of work on battery technology.

Reply to
harry

Most in fact. Renault is the main one right now. Not cheap either.

Mitsubishi and Nissan you buy outright.

Reply to
harry

There's this too,a bit more active.

harry

Another here

harry

when it only has 80 percent capacity seems to be the replace level.

but the overall capabilities of the electric car have not improved, although the comfort has.

The 2010 Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi i-MiEV have exactly the same range as the 1908 Fritchle Model A Victoria: 100 miles (160 kilometres) on a single charge

Reply to
Mrcheerful

there are plenty of outfits that change tyres at the side of the road, there are many cars supplied as standard by many makers without a spare wheel, it has been going on for around twenty years for certain. Those all manage somehow.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They do indeed. Which gives a near instant comparison between running costs of pure electric versus diesel. Which isn't very favourable for a low use town car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most of which led by mobile phones, laptops, cordless tools etc then dribbled down to transport use.

When lead acid is replaced on an IC engined car you can be sure there has been a major breakthrough. Until then, all the 'new' types have advantages and disadvantages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah, right.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oddly we used to use wet NiCds on locomotives as it was worth it at that size, but lead acid's particularly good at starting type applications.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't suppose it was good for 80mph though. The battery on all of them is less than 18 Kwh. It's all about regeneration.

Reply to
harry