Escort 1999 Starting

Hello group.

I have noticed that my petrol 1.6 litre Ford Escort has had some minor trouble starting. The battery has been changed as the original was still on it, but when turning over the car in the morning without touching the accelerator the car will try to start, sort of kick in, but the rev-counter doesn't go very high then it will just murmer and die, all this happens unless the accelerator peddle is dabbled with. This only occurs when the car has been sitting overnight, and so far if the car is started later on in the day, it will start as you would expect.

It is due a major service soon, but was wondering what could be the issue really, as I had thought the battery maybe was not providing enough juice. The new big beasty battery that is now in the car seems to debunk that theory though.

Would it be a fuel-pump related problem? Touching the accelerator would inject more fuel into the engine, and it starts every time when this is done.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
gm

Eight years for a battery? That's damn good going!

Reply to
1 and 2 and 3 and 4

Still going strong, not the problem after all, but needed replacing. Had ISCV cleaned along with throttle body before, but will replace it and see if that cures it.

In 1st and 2nd gear, any play with the accelerator often causes jerkiness of the car. It's very uncomfortable when in a traffic Jam.

Overall the car seems ok, is there any cure to this? I recall a friend mentioning bad ECU mapping by Ford as the cause of this problem, seems a bit far-fetched, no?

Cheers for the replies so far!

Reply to
gm