Escort 55 red van rear door lock bits missing

The rear door lock on my red 1999 escort 55 van stopped unlocking and the other locks were a bit dodgy too so I bought a new lockset. I came to change the rear door lock barrel and it it looks like there are parts missing from the door locking / unlocking mechanism. The door handle isn't connected to anything mechanical at all and might as well not be there. There is a hole in the cover that you take off (drilled out pop rivets) to gain access to the lock barrel etc. which looks like it should have an internal door handle to allow the rear door to be opened from the inside but there is no handle. From the outside, the door is opened with the key only. Has anyone any ideas what is missing and why? Thanks. Ian

Reply to
ian sutherland

I don't think anything is missing. Mine is exactly the same. You have a slam lock, ie when you slam the door it locks. The key opens it, and the handle outside is merely something to grip. Don't leave the keys inside and slam the door, also don't get in and let the door shut,especially if you have a partition.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

We had an S reg one and a T reg one - ex Royal Mail - at a previous workplace and the rear doors could only be opened from the outside with the key. The handle was never connected to anything.

I never looked inside the door, I assumed it was probably something to do with preventing people from stealing the post from unattended mail vans.

Reply to
Douglas Payne