escort electrics again!

Hi all,

'96 Escort. Come out this morning to see that the light on my rear window heater button is still on. Press the button, it's still on. Pull the fuse for the heater, it's *still* on! Of course, the battery was now too weak to start the engine.

So, two questions:

1). Was the battery drained by the window heater or was the bulb enough to kill it? Couldn't tell if the heater was actually on as it wasn't cold enough. 2). Should I invest in a car starter thingumy that I can run on a wire from the house? Or a big battery thing like the AA/RAC carry and use for jump starts? (thus removing the necessity to ask the neighbours for a jump). And if so, any recommendations?

TIA,

Craig

Reply to
Chandy

On without the ignition being switched on, or came on when you did? Some cars use a timer which gets interrupted if you switch off before it's satisfied, so will come on again when you switch on.

The bulb won't kill a battery overnight. Would take several days.

If the window heater is sticking on it needs to be sorted. Apart from anything else it might well burn out. If it is staying on permanently, my guess would be a relay that has welded its contacts together.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My 93 Escort has a timer, but switching the ignition off and on again will result int he window heater being switched off in any case. I'm a bit surprised that the heater has been on all night. Perhaps a relay has got stuck somewhere?

Agreed. According to Haynes, the relay in question is relay R3 and is coloured grey. The relays are on the underside of the fusebox, which is behind a removable panel underneath the steering column. If you unclip the fusebox it can be withdrawn from inside the dash making access a lot easier.

HTH,

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

Invest in a power station, available from tomorrow, if you've an Aldi near you.

Inflates your tyres too!

HTH tox

Reply to
tox

On all night, ignition off or on. Still on right now!

Well, the bulb is still going strong but there's definitely not enough juice to turn the engine over.

I just realised that the window heater doesn't work at all as one of the metal rods in the boot isn't being pushed out by the spring anymore, so the circuit cannot be completed..yet the light comes on.

Craig

Reply to
Chandy

Will hopefully get a jump tomorrow and be able to run to Aldi's (3 miles or so). Spent lunchtime trawling the net for just such a device. Seems very reasonable!

Thanks for pointing it out!

Craig

Reply to
Chandy

Have you checked your mirrors - my old '88 Escort had heated mirrors, so I'd assume your probably has too - if the rear window demister isn't draining the current, then odds-on it's the mirrors.

Pull the fuse until you can fix it.

Reply to
SteveH

6 miles isnt far enough to fully recharge the battery!!!!! 60 might be. Take itoff and bench charge it else you'll be back with a new thread "Escort battery knackered where to buy new one?"....!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Hehe. Mines doing that too. You might be able to pull the pin out, but you will need to remove the trim panel from teh boot lid and clean and grease the pins or it'll just jam again. Dumb design!

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

The car has a problem within the fusebox due to water ingress... remove dash shroud around fusebox and release fusebox with the clip at the front and remove the multiplugs... dry the fusebox in the "airing cupboard" for a couple days..... it works sometimes...failing that then replace the fusebox..... make sure the replacement has the same part no as the original.. this is screenprinted on top of the fusebox....will be

96Ab********. it needs to be the same.... needless to say the water leak needs fixing too... usually comes in through the loom....

JK

Reply to
JK

Went to Aldi's at 3:30 and they were all sold out!!!!!! Aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

Reply to
Chandy

Ahaha! I'm lucky I have a radio in this thing :) No, no heater mirors I'm afraid but I'll pull the fuse again tomorrow until I can get the whole thing going again. I'm thinking the eternal button light is due to water ingress. The windows certainly get quite misty inside overnight.

Reply to
Chandy

Yeah, am currently doing 15 miles a day in 3 short busts..don't think I'm doing anything any favours :(

Reply to
Chandy