escort mkIV 1986 cabriolet heater matrix leaks

Hi guys I have a small problem with my heater matrix behind the dash... since I've had the car (2 weeks brought for =A350) it has rained constantly and the footwell has always been soaking in the front... i attributed this to the couple of tears in the roof however i repaired the tears and still the water was coming in... I was also finding that the coolant was draining down very fast so went through the system on the engine side to try and detect any glaing problems... but of course none were found and yet still the rain kept falling and the water kept apearing in the footwells it wasn't until I topped up the coolant with a blue tinted anti-freeze and my wife leaving her pregnancy notes in the footwell that i realised what it was... her notes were totally blue and there came my next dilema... and where I'm stuck now... I have deduced that the leaking coolant must be from the heater matrix...

So I was wondering if anybody has a solution for this problem the obvious being replace it but we live in jersey which causes us problems with availability of such items... if only a quick fit until i can source a new/recondiotioned matrix... or even if you know of anywhere that does them cheaper...

many thanx ed

Reply to
Jersey Boy

You *shouldn't* just bypass the matrix by joining the "in" and "out" hoses together with something from a plumber's scrapbox because the heater matrix is part of the engine cooling circuit.

However, on a £50 car it's what I would do on a temporary basis.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

by-pass the matrix, it will do as a temporary measure or a coolant leak sealant from a motor factors.

Reply to
kronenburgh

Unfortunately the car cost 50 but worth more as was brought as part ex... hence price so have to try and fix

Chris Whelan wrote:

Reply to
Jersey Boy