escort tyre ware

mot last month, spent £450 on brakes, suspension, steering, tyres and bearings. old tyres were worn excessively on inners, both front. new tyres have done same within a month and car is pulling to right. advice welcome as i am so p***ed of with garages who cant do the job properley.

thanks

Reply to
mark laird

I wouldn't blame the garage. It's an Escort, the suspension is awful, the lower arm bushes wear out and you get all sorts of funny tyre wear. My advice ditch the Escort and get something else. Failing that, check the bushes aren't split on the suspension arms. If they are split you will have to have the arms replaced - make sure they use Ford parts only as pattern parts wear out even more quickly than the Ford ones.

Reply to
Rob

Don't go to any of these computerised 4 wheel alignment places. Find an old boy with a Dunlop tracking gauge and you'll get it set right.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The only way to get your tracking done correctly is to pay more than the going rate in your area, there is nothing for free in the motor trade so avoid the free tracking check! the free actually means that they will charge you for tracking regardless of wether you need it or not. To do the tracking "right" you first need to spend about 5 mins on a ramp checking all the ball joints / bushes / wheel bearings and look for any signs of damage to the chassis / track rods / wishbones (or track control arms) suspension struts etc, you then need to take the car off the ramp and give it a short drive to allow the suspension to settle. Now drive the car back on the ramp and park it on some swivel plates, now you add the correct loading weights ( if required( most cars do!)) ,lock the steering wheel in the correct position and set up the tracking gauge's . I wonder how many people have ever had there tracking set right?

Reply to
Fred