Mileage

what is your present milage on 97/98/99 Maximas?

Reply to
MaximaBill

I get 27mpg on road-trips (all-highway), 24mpg for my usual driving (60% highway) and about 21-22mpg if I end up doing mostly city driving.

These measurements are averages based on miles driven on every tank I have filled over the past 4 years (give or take).

Note: my car is meticulously maintained, inside and out, and I have no trouble codes stored in the ECU (i.e. CEL/MIL is off). O2 sensors were replaced voluntarily at 100k, I currently have 132k miles on the vehicle. Tires are at 32psi all-around.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Thank's for the report. What year is the Maxima and what other items have you had to replace? Has the alinement needed adjusting? What Country is the Maxima driven in? Have you always used 91+ Octane Gas if not what Octane ? Again thank's for any reply. DK

Reply to
Dave Kind

My Maxima is a 1996 model. I have recently had an alignment done (within the past year) after replacing some front suspension bushings. The Maxima is driven in the US, primarily in Illinois. I always use premium gas, which is rated at 93 Octane around here. (87, 89 and 93 are typically what is available at the pumps).

As mentioned earlier, maintenance has been meticulous, including everything recommended by the book. In general, oil/filter changes with Castrol GTX 5W30 every 3k, air filters every 15k, fuel filter every 30k. Coolant/Tranny fluid every 30k. Brakes fluid flushed every

30k. NGK platinum plugs every 60k. Clean throttle body every 30k. Tires/brakes as needed. The only components (non-wearables) that I have replaced include the thermostat, strut bearings, engine coolant temp sensor and both front O2 sensors. I did have to replace a valve cover spark tube seal last summer - 5 dollar part and a 4 hour job (for me). I did replace the front struts and rear shocks at 100k with some aftermarket equivalent replacements.

The reality is, the car hasn't needed much maintenance, other than the standard stuff. I drive an average of 15k annually. If you are in the area, come drive my Maxima sometime :) The only thing I wish for everyday is that it was a 5-spd instead of an automatic.

That's just the highlights... I have a huge log of every minute spent on the car, i.e. every oil change, etc... but I'm not about to give that out! :)

Cheers, Nirav

96 Maxima GLE, 132k
Reply to
njmodi

Reply to
Dave Kind

Dave,

Let me know if you're ever selling your Maxima ;) with only 12k on it, it's like new :) That has got to be the lowest-mileage maxima (of the

95-99 generation) that I know about...

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

My 1995 GLE has 127K miles and I am currently getting 23 miles in city driving, this cars been great so fare

full exhaust and short ram intake improved MPG

I found that high grade gets better mileage as that's what the car was designed for

Reply to
Clayton Swikert

Shouldn't the Maxima be using 10-30?

CD

Reply to
Codifus
5W30 is recommended for areas where the temperature drops to 0 F. Given the reasonably cold winters we have in the Chicago area, I believe I qualify ;).

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

======= My mistake the SUV and Bronco get the Mobil one 10/30 The Maxima gets Mobil one 5/30 DK

Reply to
Dave Kind

==== I run the Mobil one 5/30 all year around some deg.F Summers. DK

Reply to
Dave Kind

Why not full synthetic? Maxima isnt bleedin like a GM = lubricatin hiways...

The A/T full synthetic price is pure robbery. Dino oil isnt good, but its the only option for my wallet; has to be changed every 20-30k. (A/T oilswap at

) One nuance in NOT gettin good mpg is short stints:

- Automatic gearlock will engage only in warm tranny. The directly engaged gear(s) save gas; A/T box needs 20 drivetime to warm... summarum: as no gearlock, five mile trips consume always over 10% gas, and this is only the A/T part...

- First mile on cold engine always eats 50% more than hot engine.

- dragging brakes, add 5-10% (service:

)- rotten handbrake cables leave brakepads grinding

Reply to
Wiikinki