esure -

My car insurance is due to renew on 11 October. So today I got an email renewal notice, received 12 Sept at 01am. The usual stuff, a fair price and "You don't need to do anything unless you want to update some details..."

I did want to update some details: A change of credit card since the old credit card entered last year is now used for other purposes and might easily get overdrawn. So I called up esure...

At first they said that payment will be taken at renewal date. But then it turned out that the renewal payment on the old credit card was already taken on 10th September over one month before the renewal notice was emailed to me. That puts me in serious trouble with the old credit card, and I never imagined that this would happen. I have acted promptly on the email which just spotted tonight. What gives esure the right to plunder my old creadit card way before the actual renewal date? Even before it is possible to react on their renewal notice? What is the world coming to when you can't even trust bona fide corporate companies? I intend to make a big storm over this - it stinks. I'm livid.

Reply to
johannes

Understandable. But bear in mind it may be c*ck-up rather than conspiracy. So before you set off to sever bodily parts I suggest you check just what has happened.

First, you posted that the payment was "already taken on 10th September over one month before the renewal notice was emailed to me". Do you mean either "a month before it was due" or perhaps "before the notice was emailed"?

Second, have you checked your card account to see that they have actually taken payment?

Third, have you asked them:

a. why they took the payment in advance and b. if they will both (i) credit the amount back to you and (ii) undertake to meet any interest charges which arise as a result?

Reply to
Robin

Sorry I meant that payment was taken one month before expiry of my car insurance. And one day before they emailed out their renewal notice.

They kept saying that is was because of the "Continued renewal". I kept saying that their renewal notice was worthless because they had already done it before I had any chance to react on the renewal notice, even a day before they sent out the renewal notice. So it was a stalemate.

I have never come across this audacity before with anyone with continued renewal; you are always given the opportunity to change condition, change credit card or switch to another provider if you don't like e.g. new conditions. The only thing the continued renewal does, as it says, allow you to do nothing and it gets renewed automatically.

Reply to
johannes

Which is why you never, ever, sign up to auto-renew.

Reply to
MrCheerful

MrCheerful

OK, thanks.

I agree with what you say about how continuous payment authority (CPA) usually works. And while I accept others have had problems with it, I've not; and I'm happier with it now there is legislation[1] which means companies will lose if they play fast and loose.

You problem seems to me to boil down to timing. On that, you need ideally to look at the information you were given when you took out the policy. That should have told you *when* they would take payment under the CPA. Something like:

"If you pay by credit...we will take payment up to three days before your renewal date. Please contact us at least five days before your renewal date if you don?t wish..."

Quote to them the words from your police and tell them you want to pursue the matter through their formal complaints process.

[1] the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013
Reply to
Robin

Three days beore - fair enough. One month before and before they actually email the renewal notice? Including a phone number and with this statement:

"If you don't want to renew your policy, please call us on 0345 603 7973 at least 4 days before your renewal date, or we may still collect your premium."

And all I wanted to do was to change the credit card used for the renewal. I think there is no excuse for this whatsover.

Reply to
johannes

Many shops, especially the smaller outlets, don't accept AX. Apparently their business charges are higher.

Reply to
johannes

They are, but they give excellent customer service, second to none in my experience, plus they give me cashback at up to 3 percent. £108 in the last year and no annual fee.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Which is exactly why many insurance companies won't auto-renew on it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They can always make the auto-renewal premium high enough to cover the expected charges - they always reduce the price if you ring up anyway. But traditional American Express is a charge card, rather than a credit card (I don't know whether they allow CPA, I've never had one).

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I recently had a Barclaycard (credit card) and a linked AE credit card. I could use either and have a single on-line statement for both cards.

0.5% cash back on the Barclay card and 1% from AE. However, the AE card was too much hassle as it wasn't taken by a lot of retailers and I stopped carrying it.
Reply to
alan_m

and that combo has now been withdrawn (I had the same account) I use amex wherever I can, which is most places I shop and most online places take it , it is a credit card, but I use it as a charge card.

Reply to
MrCheerful