Exhauster

Just been looking through the manual of my 1987 LT van and came across something called an "Exhauster" bolted to the top of the engine. Never heard of one of these before. Could someone tell me what it does?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Vacuum pump for the brakes, exhauster meaning it exhausts the air from the servo creating a vacuum.

Early LT's had a vacuum pump driven by a belt, bolted to the front of the engine above the alternator, later ones are driven off the cam shaft, bolted on the top of the engine halfway along the head,

The early ones needed oil adding manualy, later ones dont, but you'll occasionaly get a tapping noise like a tapped way out of adjustment, it's just the rod that drives the pump in the wrong positioin, it'll soon rorate around and go quiet again... and if you take it out it's supposed to have a flat on it, it's noit a wear mark as most people believe, it's to let the oil lube the round rod in it's round hole.

Reply to
Gazz

Ah ha, that explains why I hadn't seen this thing on my engine. I have the cam driven vacuum pump. I know as had to replace it as the poppet valves inside broke to pieces. Cost nearly £300 from VW at the time. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I know to ingnore that bit on the engine photos.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Assuming you have a diesel engined van.... Possibly a vacuum pump used to "power" the brake servo.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon