Loss of power

Got a Sedona Diesel automatic.

Today, was driving along and it just lost power. Engine seemed to be as if it was lacking fuel. It completely just ground to a halt and wouldnt rev at all.

Then it spluttered a bit and then was fine. This then happened a few times - lose power for a few secs and then splutter back into life.

Any ideas?

Bad fuel maybe?

Reply to
paulfoel

maybe, does it have a water drain tap on the fuel filter? if so check that, otherwise give it a filter change just in case. renew spill pipes, the tank has a filter in it too, the in tank pump can give problems, the fuel pump relay can give trouble, etc. etc.

a quick google for 'kia sedona cutting out' gives thousands of hits, all with people saying just the same as you :)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks. Thing is though engine doesnt cut out completely. Its still running - its just gas pedal does nothing.

Reply to
paulfoel

its just gas pedal does nothing.

Has it gone into 'limp home' mode?

Reply to
Cecil

could be a faulty pedal if it is fly by wire. easy enough to test with a meter. from reading all the problems others have, it sounds like a vehicle to avoid in the first place.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I thought that bit it suddenly springs to life again. Also, its not even limp home mode - its idling speed only.

Got worse today. Stopped twice motorway. Eventually made it to work so I've called the Rac.

Car suddenly loses power. Engine still running (idling) but accelerator does nothing. Then suddenly its ok again for a few minutes then same thing happens again.

Reply to
paulfoel

Good point. It could be couldnt it?

Its as if accelerator pedal is doing nothing at all but engine seems to be running fine.

Reply to
paulfoel

good grief, I have just looked on autodata, it seems that they may have a cable, which goes to a unit which then controls the pump OR the pedal may have the electrics built into it. Good luck.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No warning light or anything. I have had problems with heater though and it did seem that the temp gauge was a little hot (but I checked and topped up water this am).

This morning drove along the motorway and it happened 3 times. Engine doesnt cut out it just loses all power and goes to idle. Ended up sitting on hard shoulder pumping pedal with no response.

Called RAC out. No faults on their reader. Its gone to another garage now for further diagnosis.

Reply to
paulfoel
[...]

The likelihood is that the dealer's diagnostics won't be able to show any more than the RAC's.

Family member has a 54 plate Zafira, purchased from a VX dealer recently, that has exactly the same fault. They've had it back six times in three months, and kept it on one occasion for three weeks, without being able to find the cause.

They have finally agreed to start throwing bits at it, starting with the throttle pedal assembly. I wouldn't mind betting that will cure it, and it's the first place I would start with your car.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

UPDATE:

Coincidentally, I've just spoken to the owner. The fault has happened several times since the pedal assembly was replaced, so it's going back to the dealer for a new ECU.

Good job it's under warranty...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not good news then :-(

Reply to
paulfoel

Not familiar BTW. But I assume its a turbo diesel. Going on this type. and this car is of German origin???

It could be something to do with the exhaust or turbo recirculation and could need something to restrict the gas flow. in the pipe. or there could be a blockage.

Reply to
Rob

Kia - Korean.

Yes its a turbo diesel.

Reply to
paulfoel

Turns out something to do with part of the heater being corroded. (I have b= een having intermittent heater problems as well the past few weeks).

Apparently, it was losing coolant and this was forcing engine into limp mod= e.

Wrong side of =A3600 total unfortunately. Two hours labour to diagnose prob= lem, =A3220+VAT for part and whatever else to fit the part. :-(

Reply to
paulfoel

has the coolant been replaced as often as recommended, if not then make sure you do in the future. Interesting limp home mode: nothing other than idle.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yeh. Weird. No warning lights either....

Reply to
paulfoel