Failed car lighter plug

I have a 12v tyre pump, which has a plug that goes into the car's lighter socket. The compressor has warnings about not letting it
overheat. But when I pumped an almost-flat tyre up, the compressor was fine, but the plug died. It had melted inside, and there was now no contact with the bottom of the 8A fuse. I purchased a couple of replacements from CPC, and fitted one. It has worked fine for several months, but yesterday, at the end of a normal tyre top-up session, there was a faltering of the compressor. I took the plug apart, and the same fault has occurred. Although the fuse is 8A, the current has to pass through a wire spring, which acts like an electric fire element, and melts the plastic in which it sits. This may have been happening a little each time I have used it. Made in China, if that helps.
I'll be looking for a different brand now, and will tell CPC what I think of their plug.
--
Davey.

Davey wrote:

Although nominally rated at 10A, these plugs and sockets will rarely carry that load for any significant amount of time. The 10A rating is for a short time only, which is reasonable when you think of their original purpose.
Perhaps it might be better to fit crocodile clips, and connect direct to the battery?
BTW, there are two similar, but different plug/sockets. One is the original 'lighter' style, the other a DIN standard one. Most UK vehicles have the original type, but it might be worth researching if you could install a DIN type as this is continuously rated.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 16:58:51 +0100

Hmm. The plugs are useable for anything, as they provide access to the power available at the socket. There is no warning on the plug or packaging about length of time. They could be used for one of those mini-refrigerators, for example.

The leads wouldn't reach, but I take your point.

The sockets seem to have no problem, it's the CPC plugs. I'll follow up on the DIN socket, thanks.
http://cpc.farnell.com/carpoint/0523414/lighter-plug-12v-8a-fuse/dp/CP05737
is the one I have.
--
Davey.