Faulty clutch kit?

Clutch started slipping on the '97 Peugeot 406 estate I've owned for the past seven years. It's done 141k miles (about half mine) and is otherwise a good car, so I put it into a local independent car repairers that advertise clutch repairs. Having had a gearbox repair some years back, I was aware the new clutch would not be cheap and was quoted close to £550 for a clutch kit and the seven hours to do the work.

When I collected the car, on completion of the work, it drove fine... for a few miles. At first the clutch was lighter than before, as one would hope, but within a couple of miles I became aware of increased resistance at longer pedal travel. This rapidly worsened and the gear changing stiffened, until I could no longer change gear and was stuck in neutral at the entrance to a roundabout about 4 miles from the repair shop. As well as the gear change stiffness, the clutch had also become extremely difficult to press.

I could only engage gears with the engine stopped but was then able to get the car to a side road where I could turn it and return, in second gear, to the repairers. By pressing hard on the clutch I could avoid stalling at junctions but gear changing verged on the impossible.

Having stopped on their forecourt, the clutch was no longer as heavy but the gearbox remained very stiff. They were initially puzzled but have taken it back in and will fit a further clutch kit next week. They say the thrust bearing in the kit they put in must have failed. Is this possible or likely? Is there some other likely explanation?

I doubt it's that they put in incorrect gearbox oil as the resistance felt very mechanical. The gearbox was fine before it went in for repair, and I had a new clutch cable fitted in January. Anyone else experienced something like this?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Failure of new parts is very rare these days. Bad installation is more likely, those symptoms would also fit with loose gearbox. It is listed as less than 5 hours to do.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks - faulty installation certainly came to mind when I was stuck at the roundabout. They appeared to need all of the quoted 7 hours: I brought it in at 08:30 on the appointed day and it wasn't ready until noon on the next! Assuming they do fit a further new kit, it's going to take them a full day again, apparently.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

That's one of those situations where if they fix it you'll never know & have nothing to gain by raising the issue though. Thrust bearings do collapse, although not normally when they're new.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They appeared to need all of the quoted 7 hours: I

Well, I can do one of those on my front driveway in seven hours, no lift or engine hoist either. (Length of wood across the engine compartment and a block and tackle).

If it was one of the auto-adjust clutch cables, would it not be necessary to reset it when fitting a new clutch?

Reply to
Brian

Chris,

On my 306 the release lever failed, the clutch had always been really heavy, then it failed with similar symptoms to yours. I wander if this is a standard part of the kit and if they replaced it first time off?

Simon

Reply to
mr p

Simon,

That's interesting, thanks. In my case the clutch pedal, although heavy, still returned after use. Did yours?

Looking at the picture for the 2.0 16V clutch kit on pugspares.co.uk, it doesn't look like the release lever is included. I suppose I'll find out when they fit the next clutch kit. If it is that then I suppose it's been a coincidence, with the fitting and use of the new clutch perhaps having accelerated existing fatigue damage.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

That seems expensive - we had the clutch done on our '98 306 a year or so ago. Peugeot main dealer was £250 inclusive, got it back the same day.

Okay, not the same car.... but I found the dealers were significantly cheaper than other places.

David Hearn

Again, interesting. Perhaps it depends on engine type (2.0 16v petrol, in my case) and where the car is - I'm in an expensive part of the country. Certainly what I paid is in line with what some others have paid for a 406 clutch, on the basis of a brief search of Usenet and the Web.

Now have the car back again, after the fitting of a second clutch kit. The clutch is relatively light and the gear changes are smooth now, so things are much improved from when I first posted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Mine was done at Charters Peugeot in Aldershot. Engine was a 1.4l petrol. I've actually found them quite good on prices - £99 for a timing belt (belt only) change, again I think lower than other places I checked.

David Hearn