Feck me, more complications!

Seems that in Northern Ireland, there's a 6 week waiting list for MOTs! Looks like someone's coming home this weekend. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If it's a "mainland"-reg car, would an NI MOT even be valid?

Reply to
Adrian

Dunno. Never occured to me that they would have a different system/validity. Part of the UK after all. I certainly wouldn't expect one from the republic to be valid.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yeh, completely different registration system - they have DVLNI, rather than DVLA Swansea.

The MOT certainly differs in some respects, but I don't know if it's interchangeable. I'd guess that Swansea can't see the records for tax disc issuing, at the very least.

Well, no. Different country entirely, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

Nope. They won't MOT a mainland-registered car here. It's been tried.

Reply to
The Revd

Is there time to have the car re-registered in NI and then MoT'd and taxed there? Might be cheaper/quicker as IIRC it's only twenty quid or so; and t/f of cars between NI and GB doesn't count as importation with all the tax stuff; but I think it does require an application in person at a local office.

Reply to
Robin

Nah. MOT is due next Monday. :-(

Reply to
Tim+

Next question!

Does anyone know whether, armed with a UK mainland MOT, if she'll be able to re-tax it at a post office in NI?

I'm rather suspecting not...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Since she'll have to come to the mainland to get the MOT, might as well just tax it over the counter whilst she's over here. Or online, but then the post'd have to be forwarded, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

Going back on Sunday you see so can't visit a post office before return.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

She's not getting the MOT done on a Sunday, though...?

Reply to
Adrian

Depends on how long the MOT and any repairs take. We *may* get lucky and have the MOT copy in our hands before 12 but I'm not hopeful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+