My trusty steed

Lots of closings/delays in the area today because of a winter storm warning or something like that. Blah, humbug! Went out to go to work this morning and scraped a little ice off of my trusty steed and we were ready for the 35 mile commute in to work!

to work and... Hey, where's all the fancy 4wd trucks and schmancyLexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc that are normally here?!?!
HO HO! My left foot is toasty warm! :-)

Reply to
Shag

Do you always go to work in the middle of the night?

One foot warm is better than no feet, right? :0]

Any news/pics on/of the garage?

Two days ago we had 51,5 deg Fahrenheit during the day. This is Oslo in mid. January!!

Some of us quite like the prospect of climate change..

J.

Reply to
Berg

I just like to go to work early so I can go home early. I get here around 6:30 and leave around 3-3:30pm. I beat the traffic coming and going. Yes, one warm foot was better than nothing. :-) On the garage... I covered the roof with a tarp and the sides are covered in plastic for now. I'm waiting on a weekend with decent weather to get started on the tar paper and shingles. Looks like that might not happen this weekend coming up.

Reply to
Shag

Just for curiosity, what are the shingles in construction terms. My english dictionary between my ears translate this to Herpes Zoster - a late aftercondition of having chicken pox one time in a life.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I hope this helps.

Freddy Badgett

roofing material.....

Joey Tribiani

Mikahan olis suomenkielinen vastine.. ei ihan kattotiili, vaan semmoinen terva"pahvi"laatta mista kattopeite tehdaan. Ne on taallapain ainakin sellaisia ehka vajaan metrin pituisia suikaleita jotka sitten ladotaan limittain.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

How about "vyöruusu" ;) Well, "kumibitumikattolaatta" maybe would be one translation. For example Katepal products

I would call them also "huopakatto". How about kattotiilet (tiles made out of clay or coloured concrete)? Are they called shingles? Or roof tiles as I would translate?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

"Olli Lammi" wrote in message news:sZMjj.282325$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.news.saunalahti.fi... >

terracotta?

Joey Tribiani

Hmmm. When I think Shingles, I always visualise thick tarboard tiles coated with fine stone granulate, as in flexible.

The ceramics translates into something quite different over here, think I saw it mentioned on one of the sites, roof pans?

J.

Reply to
Berg

Ps.

Translated from Norwegian, Swedish and Danish to English it would simply be: Roof stone. Simple eh? :o}

J.

Reply to
Berg

Translated from Finnish they would be roof bricks.

This is what got installed on our roof few weeks ago (construction project is underway):

Olli Lammi

Made it back home, safe and sound. The other guys finally made it to work.

Shag

Yup, takstein = roofstone. Has some fancy moldings to it though, nothing is what it used to be, sigh.. :0)

J.

Reply to
Berg

Looks good sitting amongst that lot, does it not?

J.

Reply to
Berg

You too? Well, being in Texas I have two reasons to get to work by 6:15 AM and leaving BEFORE 3:30 PM.

1) In the summer, who wants to be stuck in stop and go traffic in an unairconditioned bug in 100+ degree F heat? 2) I am in a '65 bug. The road is swarming with extended cab pickups, Hummers, H2s, H3s, 18 wheelers, and the occasional dumb assed car driver that cuts in and out of the lanes if there is 2/3 of a car length to start to squeeze into and who cuts over to his/her exit from a minimum of two lanes over at a distance of not farther than 20 yards from the end of the exit turnoff, AND, the North Texas highway GENIUSES, in their INFINITE WISDOM, have found a way to add another lane to the expressways by including the BURM as part of a lane and cutting about 6" from each of the other lanes! Those idiots! That might work in California or the UK where folks drive smaller cars, but in TEXAS anything smaller than a land yacht is at risk of being squashed like the beer cans drivers finish and throw into the pickup beds.
Reply to
KWW

Is there white paint on the driver's front fender? Also, is the bumper a little high on that side? Just wondering..... my car isn't 1/4 as nice looking as yours.

Reply to
KWW

Reply to
Shag

Sorry to tack this onto this thread.... but does anybody know how to block messages based on "X-Complaints-To" or "NNTP-Posting-Host"

There is a pattern to those odd posts wherein someone hijacks somebody's address and posts.

Reply to
KWW