Fiat Brava 1.2 Road Noise

The road noise from my car has recently started getting excessively loud at certain speeds, where it's almost deafening - the shocks have been checked, and are ok, as is the tracking. Would a faulty wheel bearing increase the road noise? I'm a complete novice here, so any suggestions would help.

It's nothing to do with the engine or exhaust.

Anyone have any ideas what else could be making it sound so bad? And how much it's likely to cost to fix?

Reply to
Alan Gauton

Could well do.

What has led you to this conclusion?

Lots of things. More information would help a diagnosis. What does the noise sound like? Constant roar? Rattling? Squeaking? Does the noise vary with road speed or wheel speed? Is it worse going round corners or in a straight line? Does it get louder when accelerating or braking? Do certain surfaces make it sound worse?

Obvious things worth checking are:

1) Anything somehow caught underneath car? (e.g. plastic bag) 2) Correct tyre pressures all round? 3) Legal tyres all round? (good tread, no bulges / cuts) 4) Is the exhaust mounted securely? (even if the exhaust is good, I've had cars where a faulty mounting has caused the exhaust to rattle and resonate horribly at certain speeds)

Far too early to say. Think of a number between zero and *how much?!?*

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

So won't rule that out.

The fact that letting the car coast in neutral (so low revs) or with the engine off completely makes no difference to the noise.

Would say a roar - at certain speeds. Most noticeable at the moment is around 25mph.

See last line.

Fairly constant round corners or on a straight road, some surfaces make it sound worse, but not by much.

Nothing under the car.

Should be.

3 are relatively new (under 6 months), the other is older, but still in goodish condition.

We've had that on a different car. In this case it seems ok.

Fair enough - I know roughly how much supsension parts are. Just out of curiosity then, roughly how much would wheel bearings cost, supplied and fitted.

Reply to
Alan Gauton

Rear bearing £30 ~ £40, front £50 ~ £70. I think you'll find it's bearing noise. Try and determine if it is coming from the front or back then jack up the wheels and try to waggle them while holding the top and bottom of the tyre. If there is no movement, spin them. They should spin freely with no roughness or noise. If you find one is rough/noisy or both. you've likely found your culprit.

Reply to
gazzafield

Thanks for that - I'll see if I can get a proper look to check it out.

--=20 AG

Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!=20 =09=09=09=09=09 (Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)

Reply to
Alan Gauton