Rover 218 ignition key will not turn

K reg, never usually lets me down, but on a couple of occasions it has refused to let the key turn in the barrel. When this happens I have tried the duplicate key, waggled the steering wheel, moved the key in and out, tried it up the other way, applied a little lubricant, turned it gently to the left and right with no luck. Then suddenly while trying it finally turns.

Cant go on like this. Is a replacement barrel the only answer and then will I need two keys, one for the doors and another for the ignition?

Reply to
Peter

A cheap alternative to try would be to get a new key cut from code. If you have the code, of course.

Reply to
Volff

Would you believe, I am searching high and low for that little tag with the number on it!!

Reply to
Peter

I thought I would try the old Rover dealer to see if he could link the chassis number with the key number. Unfortunately, although they used to be able to do this, since the demise of Rover all records for key numbers and car radio codes have been deleted and are no longer available :( .

Reply to
Peter

My brother just got similar information from a Rover dealer last week. Is your Rover dealer suffering from cantbearseditis perchance?

Reply to
gazzafield

Some cars have it engraved (for lack of a better word) on the lock barrel. I assume your duplicate key was copied from the key you usually use fairly recently?

Is it basically a problem of getting the steering lock to unlock?

Reply to
Volff

Go to your local scrap yard and get a complete set of locks and key from them - should be about £10-£20.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis