Fiesta coolant bottle

I had a small coolant leak where the pipe is clipped to the coolant reservoir/bottle on my old Fiesta. I tried a few things that I thought would help it seal, but none worked. I replaced the reservoir and now it's fine. Now that I have a chance to see it in the light, the reservoir has several small cracks in it, and I have no doubt that that's where the water was coming from, since I can feel a fracture on the outside surface. I initially put this down to age and heat and pressure, but thinking about it now, it doesn't seem entirely reasonable that such a thing should only last 13 years. Now I'm wondering if there is something else wrong. Is it possible that the pressure release cap is no longer releasing pressure when it should?

I got a pattern one off eBay, and judging by the numbers sold, it's happening to others.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

it has been happening for many years on Fords, it is one of the first places to look if someone complains of a coolant leak. Most likely cause was the wrong plastic at a guess. a new cap with a new tank is a good idea, but I doubt if the old one could stick shut, leak or fail to hold pressure, but not hold solid. the only way to be sure is to put it on a tester, most garages have one.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks. Interesting to hear that it's happening on other Fords.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre