Fiesta coolant

Hi all,

Just noticed that the coolant in my Fiesta is a bit low (an inch or two below minimum but way above the outlet of the reservoir). I've got some Halfords "Advanced protection" 5 year coolant knocking about, does anyone know if that's compatible with the existing coolant? I'm a bit colour blind but the Mrs says the coolant in the car is pink.

If it's not OK then given that I'm going to be doing lots of driving this (probably hot) weekend and haven't got a chance to get some from Ford should I leave it for now and top up after the weekend or top up now with distilled water?

2000 Fiesta Zetec.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

the coolant needs replacement every three years or so. the pink stuff is fords own, get some of that after the w/e

Reply to
mrcheerful

OK, will do. According to Mr Haynes (who I now regard with a bit of scepticism!) the new style of coolant (through described as orange) should last for 10 years! Is that totally wrong or is changing it every 3 years overkill (I ask cos if it's not then I'm way overdue) ? I'm not that worried however because there's never been any hint of any kind of overheating and the fan is hardly ever on when I get out of the car.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

It's cheap from Ford. I thought this pink stuff was long life, as in 5 years upwards?

Reply to
Doki

I had a 99 Ka. IIRC some of the new coolants coagulate and gunge up if you mix them with glycol (ie, normal) antifreeze. You have to mix with the right stuff. Which either comes from Ford or has the Ford spec number printed on the bottle.

Reply to
Doki

It does have Ford spec number on the bottle but also advises not to mix with other types. Unclear whether the spec number relates to the properties of the coolant or the actual type (if indeed it's the right spec number). I'll get some from Ford.....

Now all I need to know is whether it needs changing or just topping up??? It's done 40k miles and is 7 years old. As I said before, no signs of overheating.

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Certainly VAG G12 (which is pink) does.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

At that mileage and age I would leave it alone and just top up. the original service book is probably the best guide as to change intervals.

Reply to
mrcheerful

The orange/pink coloured Ford coolant has a change interval of 10 years. It must not be mixed with other coolants. Ford also use a blue/green coolant that has a 6 year change interval.

How often do you check the level? If you do it regularly, and it's gone down a couple of inches in a short time, I'd look for a leak before driving any distance. At the very least, take some water with you and check the level often.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In many years of motoring I've never ever replaced the coolant unless I've had an engine problem such as head off or something. I've never had a blocked or corroded rad and the only time I've ever had an engine boil was when I lost water thro' a burst hose.

Have I just been lucky? I don't kow of anyone who changes their coolant - although some people I know may do but just don't bring it up in conversation.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

OK, that tallies with the Haynes book ;)

It was OK this time last year, though maybe on minimum. If there's not a leak then how would it get out if the cap is on properly? :)

I've got some water in the car and I'll keep an eye on the temps and level as I go.

Thanks.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings
[...]

Are you seriously saying that a year ago, the coolant level was on minimum, and it's not subsequently been checked *for a year*?

I get anxious if I've not done basic oil/water/tyre pressure checks for two weeks!

How do you know there is not a leak? Especially if you don't look under the bonnet too often...

Small coolant leaks can be hard to find, especially on modern cars. It is often necessary to pressure test the system to find them.

Good idea.

A better one would be to resolve to do weekly under bonnet checks. This is especially important on cars with the small capacity Zetec engines. They are prone to bore wear and piston ring damage, especially if thrashed from cold. This usually results in the thing seizing solid when it finally runs out of oil.

AA stepson has towed loads of them with exactly that problem...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

the coolant is also an anti corrosion fluid, the anti corrosion ability deteriorates with time (because of all the different materials in the cooling system), so needs replacing. the anti freeze properties don't effectively change afaik.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ouch! Where did it all go?

I doubt it.

More likely to be a peachy-orange colour, meaning it's OAT (Organic Acid Technology or summat like that).

I managed to get the right premixed stuff from Opie Oils. I guess a Ford main dealer would supply it too (probably twice the price).

I'd suggest you top up with distilled water for now rather than put an incompatible coolant in.

I'd be more worried about where the coolant is going to be honest.

Al.

Reply to
Al

My Scrote recently dumped its coolant from the 4-way steel junction pipe behind the diesel pump.

After fixing the hole, we fushed the system twice with water, then filled up with the Halfords orange stuff.

The original coolant was Ford Pink, and it was still original when the pipe burst.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Ta.

Rob graham

Actually not a year but 5 months or so, I do all these checks when I change the oil which I do every 6 months (no garage so usually when it gets warm enough in March and before it gets too cold in September). Tyres I do much more often. May have checked a few times since then but don't keep records.

Heh, to me that seems paranoid but OTOH I'm not as experienced as you.

What I means is, there must be a leak (even if very slow) as otherwise the level can't have gone down.

Car was fine, no further drop in level or temp over normal (as always the temp gauge climbs to the centre of the normal zone and sticks there like it's glued in place, dropping ever so slightly I guess when the fan is on but no longer needed.

OK.... Can you define thrashing? Am aware of that problem so I try to avoid exceeding 3k RPM until it's warm.

Car has only done 40k so not too worried about that yet but I'll certainly increase my check frequency :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

How often do you check the oil, every 6 months? IIRC there are plenty of cars out there that can burn through a litre of oil per few thousand miles and still be within spec - what happens if you have a car that does this, and drive until the oil light comes on?

In work these are done every time you get a vehicle, meaning some get done 3 times per day.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Why are you not checking fluids weekly or fortnightly? Not just oil but coolant and washer fluid? I check the lorry every single day. It means you can detect a problem long before it becomes expensive or results in you sat on the hard shoulder.

Likewise tyres. You can pick up alignment issues and cuts in the sidewalls before you have a blowout or end up being told by Plod they're illegal at 3 points and up to £2000 a tyre.

Well you're wrong. There is natural wastage. It burns off.

Reply to
Conor

Every month or so (so every 500 miles).

I'd be OK on my current checking but point noted, will do so more frequently - I think I'll get my phone to remind me every Saturday morning :)

I'm not doing it 3 times a day however :D

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings