Airbag warning light (Pug 306) + MOT

Our '98 (S reg) 306 has started flashing its airbag warning light. The initial check goes okay (light comes on and goes off after a few seconds when starting) but shortly after that it starts flashing. It was tempremental at first - some days it wouldn't flash, other times it would - but now its always flashing after passing the initial check (and then staying on after 5 minutes of flashing, as per the handbook).

I contacted the Peugeot garage who said they couldn't say what was causing it (or what it meant) without looking at it - they said it may be the wiring to the seatbelt connector (which they said was often the cause) and if it was it could be £100 (or so I'd guess, plus VAT I'd imagine).

Anyway - firstly, is there anything I can do to check the wiring myself? I don't want to be setting the bag off myself - but it would be good if I could find a broken wire or something and fix it myself if its that simple. Also, it would be good to be able to locate the fault and get them to fix it - but without them spending hours tracing the fault first.

My other concern is whether the airbag will activate in a crash if the light is flashing - if it won't work at all, then I'd be more inclined to get it fixed - but at the moment, cash is tight and if the bag should work okay, then I'm not too fussed.

And one final thing - our MOT is due at the end of this month, and I don't want the garage (planning to use the AA again in this case) to fail the car due to the warning light. Would this be part of the MOT - or is it an optional extra which doesn't matter if its not passing all its internal tests?

Thanks

David Hearn

Push and pull the connectors under the seats, spray with WD40. Might save £100. My MoT check list doesn't mention airbags. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

That's good to know about the MOT - I'll check the connectors when I can, and do the WD40 bit - worth a try. :)

Thanks

David Hearn

My '92 car sailed through the MOT with airbag (SRS) light lit. It's not part of the test.

The airbag circuits usually have enough charge to fire a few minutes after power is disconnected, but if you are worried I'd disconnect the battery and have a play an hour later to be sure.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Excellent - thanks for that! I disconnected the two connectors and reconnected them and its been fine since! Saved us a nice amount, though sadly its just failed its MOT on a rear silencer split and broken/split front wishbone bushes... :( £211 estimate. Typical!

Thanks through for your advice.

David Hearn

run a cable tie round between the wires on the connectors and pull it tight personally i just cut off the connectors and solder Jeff

Reply to
Mindwipe