Fitting Master Cylinder on a Astra 1.4 non- ABS 1994

My seals are failing under light pressure. I have bought a new master cylinder but I have never changed one before only changed brakes and bled them. When filling the new cylinder with fluid does the pedal have to be pumped to distribute the fluid or can I just use the gravity method of bleeding. I have used a tube with a none return valve in the past but somebody recommended the gravity method. I do not want to fork out for a pressure bleeding kit.

Reply to
gJF

Last time I did an astra m/cyl I gravity bled it but it wasn't very good so I pump bled it and the pedal came back spot on.

Reply to
jOn

I know I have to bleed out all the air bubbles but can anyone tell me how to estimate how much fluid it takes in the master cylinder to go through the brake pipe to reach the back brakes. Would it be like half the reservoir capacity or more.

Reply to
gJF

By the time you've bled them, more.

Reply to
Duncanwood

I have managed to borrow a pressure bleeding kit. What pressure should I use in the car tyre and would I still need to pump the pedal when fitting a new Master cylinder. The instructions have been lost.

Reply to
gJF

Depends on the car, most work well with 10-12psi, you don't necessarily need to pump the pedal & there's some argument that f it's an old & corroded master cylinder you don't want to.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Of course givem the word "new" you can ignore that bit.

Reply to
Duncanwood

OK, Thanks for the advice. Just waiting for some fine weather.

Reply to
gJF