Fixing a fuel tank

I've finally got round to tracing an annoying tinny rattle on the SD1. It appears to be coming from the fuel tank. To get at this easily means lifting the entire car as it's located forward of the boot. So had to wait for a few days of reasonable weather since I've not got a garage.

I'd looked at the manual and thought it might be something trapped between tank and shield - but my car has no shield. So much for BL's workshop manual.

Tapping the (near empty) tank produces the noise. It near disappears with the tank full. The tank is secure on its mountings.

I've removed the gauge sender but it still makes the noise - so loose baffle?

A new tank is the thick end of 200 quid so would it be practical or indeed possible to have the present one repaired? It looks externally to be in very good condition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this a fuel injected one?

Reply to
Conor

It may have a stone in it, I have seen this before, kids put things in fuel tanks. I doubt that has baffles inside, take it off and shake it, I bet something falls out.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yup. A VDP EFI.

Reply to