Ford Ranger Fuel Tank

I need a Fuel Tank for a 1988 Ford Ranger. It's a 4x4, 108 inch wheelbase. It's a 15 gal tank. Ir's about 45-46 inch long. Anyone know where I can get one?

Reply to
ADAK96

NAPA, Autozone, Advanced Auto parts, the dealer to name a few. Let me guess, the top of the tank rotted out because the "safety shield" trapped a bunch of dirt and garbage on top of it.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

My 1992 Ranger, and my 1997 for that matter, came with plastic gas tanks.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Sorry, I clicked Send too soon. I was going to suggest that a plastic tank would not have the corrosion problems of a metal one, and that a used one would be a cost effective replacement.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I got an e-mail but will respond here

Manufacturer is SPI, the part number is F20C, it is special order only. Can be ordered at store or online

also

part number, 3 year warranty $118.00

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks, but that won't work. the 85 thru 88 had steel tanks, with ttwo fuel pumps, one in the tank and one on the frame (don't ask me why) and the plastic tank (starting in 1989) had an all totally different fuel pump setup. Makes sense to me (NOT).

Reply to
ADAK96

That's right. My neighbor had one of those... Brain freeze.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

They (manufactures) have all done things like that but ford seems to have a penchant for it. Prime example, Ford Pintos. 71 used one rack and pinion steering assembly,

72 and 73 used yet another, 74,5,and 6 still another and it changed again in 77, and none of them would interchange. And before someone goes beating on the poor Pinto, research Buddy Ingersoll's 10.13 second 132 mph 1/4 miler.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

From my days selling parts, my experience is that the worst manufacturer was AMC. For a few years in the 70's a person could have had any one of 6 or 7 distributors on the same engine depending on whether it was a delco, autolite, prestolite, with points, double points, or electronic ignition. It was crazy, and regularly people would get very mad when you'd tell them they'd have to go home and bring the parts back to be sure they got the right ones.

Also, once I asked a Dodge dealer for a cv joint boot to replace the torn one on a friend's 92 Caravan. He told me there were about 6 different manufacturers of those cv joints for that year alone, and that you could only match a boot up with the old one in hand.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

You deserve your mouth washed out with soap for bring up that brand, Everytime I almost forget about All Most a Car, someone brings them up and all the nightmares come rushing back. Gee you need a voltage regulator, is that an AC Delco, Autolite, Chrysler, or Prestolight charging system , prestolight, mmm is it the mechanical regulator or the electronic? What's the difference?, oh the mechanical one is about 3 inches wide, 5 inches long and 4 inches tall, the electronic one is about 2 inches square by 1 1/2 inches thick. Ok you have the electronic one that will be $85 for the part. This back in the 70's when a voltage regulator for anyone else cost about $10. Or how about those great bearings they used in place of an upper ball joint, that no one but no one has anymore.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

It really is no wonder they sunk. A guy with a CJ5 might be willing to put up with that a little bit, but not the average Matador or Ambassador driver.

CJB

Reply to
CJB