Foam in wheelbarrow tyres then become flatproof ?

Foam in Allotment wheelbarrow tyres become flat proof ?

What kind of foam might we be able to get in the U.K. ?

Reply to
john.west

Punctureseal (used to be Ultraseal).

Mate put it in a ride on mower (tubed tyres) he was always getting punctures on (1 a week, hawthornes typically) and didn't suffer a puncture again. ;-)

We typically use it in all our trailers, motorcycles and some of the cars (especially daughters van).

No connection other than being a happy customer (but be careful of imitations). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ordinary builders foam should be fine. It needs a little moisture to cure so when you are filling it up with the polystyrene solids add a little water in too ready for the foam injection.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Isn't the problem with 'builders foam' is that it's not particularly 'elastic', as the guy in the video seems to suggest re the need to 'top up' the foam every so often?

And he was using it in 'flotation tyres' that may not even have the same level of foam crushing impact as a wheelbarrow tyre might suffer?

I think pneumatic tyres work for a reason. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Maybe don't take too many tips from this bloke though

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or this one

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You can buy puncture proof (solid) wheelbarrow tyres. They are not as good as proper pneumatic tyres, it's feels like pushing a flat tyre if there is any load.

Reply to
DJC

They sell foam filled ones for caravan/trailer jockey wheels too, so I tried one. They initially show promise, but rapidly go flat if weight is left on them. The one I tried, simply stayed flat and came completely off its rim.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why bother? I replaced the wheel on the Barrow with a solid one, I got mine from a carboot, but just checked ebay, plenty on offer

Reply to
Derek

"john.west" wrote

Considering the cost of a can of foam, which is seldom any good again once used, and your work it's just as cheap to buy a new wheel and tyre for £10.

BobHobden

In message , Derek writes

If you are going to that bother, use a tyre having more tread plies than the 0.5 ply:-) found on most supplied for barrows.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

try 1/6 tonne of sand and cement on a solid wheel..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:-)

Reply to
ARW

My barrow used to be very susceptible to puncture from thorns, but hasn't needed attention for a few years since using a liquid goo preparation that is used by cyclists. I can't remember the brand name, but application is simple - remove valve, introduce goo, replace valve and spin wheel to evenly distribute goo. Re-inflate, cup of tea, then ready to go.

Steve :)

Reply to
Steve B

Seconded.

My Amazonian wheel works fine.

Reply to
Vortex12

I reckon I could remove a wheelbarrow tyre, fix the puncture with a cycle repair kit, and refit the wheel in under 10 minutes.

If you purchased a spare wheel so you could fix the punctured one at your leisure, it would take only two minutes to swap them.

I can't imagine any wheelbarrow-related task that would suffer from a two minute delay...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We prefer barrows with a solid tyre. We've had a wheelbarrow with a solid tyre for at least 40 years and it's the chosen one for all wheelbarrowing. We even got rid of our 'bought at much expense' barrow with a pneumatic tyre. It was too irritating.

Reply to
Fran Snortilus

I to am a liquid goo fan, I also keep a couple of spare inner tubes and a spare wheel because I find its the time to fix the wretched thing more irratating than the actual puncture. I have to say that since son has bought his own barrow and stopped borrowing mine the problem seems to have dissapeared!

Charlie Pridham

Reply to
Charlie Pridham

It will just break and crumble every time you hit something with the tyre

Reply to
alan_m