expanding foam in bulkhead..

I have a hole in my bulkhead (my Land Rovers bulkhead, you get the idea). Can I just spray some of that builders expanding foam into it, cut it flush with the surface and then spray the rusty bit with some of that 'straight to rust' hammerite? I know it's not a permenant fix but will it get by?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yes you can...but as soon as you put a welding torch near it when it gets done properly it will be fun... but I doubt you will be able to see the flames through all the smoke :-)

Expanding foam also has excellent water retention properties so it will further aggrivate the rot.

:-(

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

To quote a well-known comedy

That's the worst idea since Abraham Lincoln said "I'm bored, let's go to a show".

;-)

The foam isn't a fix at all. You'd be better off gluing a sheet of plywood over it. At least you could prise it off before welding it!

I don't like cosmetic patches like this. I've done them before and I end up with an 'out of sight, out of mind' problem where I forget about it.

For my money, it's structural and needs fixing properly, especially as there is probably much worse in the footwells and hidden away elsewhere. If you can be sure that the footwells are solid then a decent welder shouldn't charge the earth to patch that bit up.

Sorry...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Bodging already! Save your money until you can get it fixed properly.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I thought about filling the inside of the chassis with foam to keep the water out obviously a bad bad bad idea it was the welding problem that stopped me

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Twas Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:16:39 +0000 when Tim Hobbs put finger to keyboard producing:

Ah yes, the great man himself

The footwells look solid, just the one hole in the bulkhead and bubbling in the same place on the other side.

Yea, OK, I'll get it welded....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Me I have just left the holes, (after getting rid of the last owners filler) and painted whats left.

You can always just tape over it.

Welding can wait till summer.

Reply to
Larry