Focus 1.6 Petrol cool running in urban conditions

05 Focus II 1.6 Ti-VCT

First of all, the problem I'm about to describe hasn't just started happening during the recent cold snap, it's any time weather is below

10 degC and it's something I've observed over the past couple of months.

It's my first winter with the car and I'm finding it's the slowest to warm up I've ever had. That doesn't bother me too much, but if I'm using the heater, it won't stay fully warm at all unless it's being driven at speed. If I put the heater on at, say, 30mph the temp will drop and stay around halfway between cold and warm (about 75 degrees according to the scale).

I've never had this before with a petrol engine - my experience is get it warm and you can blast the heat away to your heart's content, so long as it's not stationary. This is something I've always found, even with smaller and more economical engines.

I know that this car has a fangled thermostat with an electric heating element controlled by the ECU, and I presumed the idea of this is to make it warm up better, not worse!? So is there really a problem or is it just a characteristic of the car? And could it be something other than a faulty thermostat, because I would expect this to cause more of a problem at higher speeds if it was sticking open?

Grateful for any ideas,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Stu wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sun 12 Dec

2010 14:32:05:

08 Fiesta Ghia here. Takes near to forever to get warm air through going to work, on the way back from work there is an overtaking lane on an A road just round the corner where I take it up to 5K rpm in third which heats it up within the next couple of minutes.

Compared to the 01 Fiesta Ghia I had before it it's appalling.

Gauge stays the same on mine but if I drop the fan speed from 2 to

1 I notice it cools off straight away, regardless of speed.

Same with previous Fiesta.

Fortunately mine has a heated front screen or it would be pointless going anywhere in winter weather. Think the mirrors are heated too when the snowflake symbol is on on the dashboard.

Anyone else noticed exceptionally warm air coming out of the side of the centre console adjacent to the clutch pedal even when the controls show nothing to that area? I've had my foot hovering to change gear due to the snow and ice and have noticed a heat rash (and felt the heat) when I've got out of the car.

Reply to
Mr Guest

Knackered thermostat.

Reply to
Davey

Thanks for your reply. The heater on mine isn't too bad, what bothers me most is that the engine is being overcooled. Good to know I'm not the only Ford owner with this prob, though. ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I can think of no other reason myself. But I've had a stuck thermostat before, and the effect of that was the engine ran cold out on the open road when the airflow was at it's greatest. The symptons I have now are the opposite, which is causing me some confusion.

On previous cars I would've just bit the bullet and tried a new thermostat, but I believe with this car you have to buy the complete housing with the built in heating element, which obviously makes the part a lot dearer. I've also got to take the alternator off to get at it, which means I need a new vee belt + fitting tool because it's been designed as single use only with no tensioner - cut off to remove!

In short, it's a relatively big & expensive job just to change the thermostat, so I'd like to be quite sure about the diagnosis before I spend the time & money on it.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I've noticed it's quite common for cars to run a little hotter on motorways etc. I suspect modern car radiators don't get as much air at speed as in the old days before aerodynamic efficiency considerations.

Another possibility is lack of coolant, so there isn't enough to warm up the heater or get the temperature gauge sensor to register correctly, while your engine is actually probably overheating :-(.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

+1 - check your coolant level asap.
Reply to
Yassir I. Khan-Bughi

I know there are many car owners who don't even realise it should be monitored, but I'm not one of them.

Coolant level is fine and I'm not topping up either.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Symptoms still point to thermostat stuck partially open.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

How does that work then?

Reply to
The Other Mike

All of the pulleys are in a fixed position. Correct tension is achieved by fitting the belt over the ancilliary pulleys and then stretching it over the crankshaft pulley with the aid of a tool that comes with the new belt. The tool fits onto the pulley and hooks the belt over as you rotate it. Because the belt is stretched during installation, you can't re-use it. Crap for the owner from a cost point of view, but I suppose it is an effective way of ensuring the belt is always installed to the correct tension.

Following up on the issue of the thermostat itself, I managed to find a Ford service manual which gave a test procedure for electric thermostats. The idea is simple: hook a voltmeter up to the CTS and leave the engine idling. Record the voltage at 1 minute intervals as the engine warms up. Voltage should drop as the temp rises. As soon as the voltage rises back up or fails to drop significantly within a minute, you've found your thermostat opening temp.

So I followed this procedure and the point where the reading stalled came after 10 minutes and a voltage of 1.15V. This corresponds to a temp of less than 70 degrees, so it does indeed point to a bad thermostat. The temp then continued to rise, more slowly, for a further 15 minutes until it finally reached a normal temp of 90 deg.

One other observation I made is that despite the rise in temp stalling early on, the return hose from the radiator remained stone cold to the touch right up until the engine was about fully warmed up. So even though the thermostat may be opening early, it can't be allowing a great deal of flow. I've concluded that it needs replacing but not as a matter of urgency.

Thanks for the replies,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Like I said, a knackered thermostat. Nothing else really which could cause it when you boil it down.

;o)

I had a similar problem with a Mk1 Fiat Punto a couple of weeks back. Turned out the thermostat had been poorly made and the rubber seal was worn away on one side due to the spindle not being concentric. The seal wasn't being made and the inside of the car rarely got warm. The recent cold snap forced me to change it, which only took a half hour .... which is why I love this 14yr old car.

Reply to
Davey

Ordered the necessary parts. The two new vee belts are costing more than the thermostat housing, FFS! Feeling quite cynical about that, when you bear in mind that only an OEM belt includes the necessary fitting tools! >:-(

Will report if it solves the issue - may be a couple of weeks before I get round to it.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Fitted the new thermostat and it didn't make any difference. :-(

Can't think of anything else that may cause this issue so I suppose it's just a characteristic of this particular cooling system. So much for fancy electric thermostats! >:-(

Thanks for all the response,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Hi Stu,

I have exactly similar problem now with my car. Model is exactly same as yours. Did you manage to fix the problem. I would appreciate if you could provide any information on this.

Sumy

Reply to
Sumy

How about instead of resurrecting a three year old thread that I doubt Stu is still following, you start a new thread and explain your problem?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What is an electric thermostat (on a car) I haven't heard of such a thing, why would anyone re-invent and complicate the wheel? The zetec with the thermostat low down on the front behind the alternator is conventional, I have seen and changed them (when replacing the plastic bi-furcated hose connection)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It's an ordinary thermostat with a heater bolted to it (stop scoffing at the back!)

The idea, I presume, is to allow the ECU to increase cooling ahead of a large heat dump. Of my experience, BMW's M54 3.0 petrol has one - a lump capable of generating a lot of spare heat!

Reply to
Scott M

I see, thank you, so if it were in the OP car you could just add a switch to prevent it coming on and overcooling. or sort the software.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It also has the claimed advantage of delaying 'stat opening, so optimum temperature is achieved sooner.

If the OP's Focus one is like the Mondeo ones, it's not unknown for them to break up internally, giving in effect a 'stuck-open' condition.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan