Focus 2003 - rear brake change question

I need to change the rear brakes on a 2003 focus , haynes manual says a special tool is required to get the pistons back , but also says you may be able to do it with long nose pliers. Before I attempt it myself , has anyone changed the rear pads on a focus without needing the special tool that Haynes manual refers too ?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

If it's refering to a piston windback tool, just go and buy one. Only about

10-15 quid and are more than worth the hassle you'll save trying to do without one.
Reply to
MikeL

Watched a splitarsed mechanic at ATS use one of these tools on my Mondeo rears. Could not get it to work on one side. Many phone calls later he finds out that one side is left hand windback and the other side right hand. Something to do with the handbrake.

The Focus might be the same.

Reply to
Merryterry