Focus high petrol usage

I'm getting a bit concerned about my focus and its petrol consumption. I put £20 of sainsburys unleaded in and I got only 120 miles urban driving a mix of 30/40/60 roads. I drive smoothly and change up in time and am gentle on the left foot yet this seems a bit rubbish.

I did a bit og googling and it says the AFM may be at fault. I only have a maxiscan ms509 (autel) it shows live data and shows the AFM (air flow meter) at 0.0077 no idea if this is a good or bad reading ?

Could this extreme heat cause more petrol consumption. I am not using anything else in the car like air con etc its just basic driving, although all windows are open so I guess that doesn't help.

Correct tyre pressure aswell. I guess super market fuel is not the best but to be fair I use it usually and get 370 out of a 55litre tank if I'm lucky more than likely 350 urban and 200 miles motorway driving.

Any ideas what else I could have a look at or do ?

thanks Hope you all enjoying this heat, its a bit much for me so I'm hiding inside :)

Reply to
Pete

In message , Pete writes

Yes, but what mpg are you getting? ;-)

I fill my (Mondeo) tank to the top every time, and record date, cost, mileage and fuel added. Those figures entered into a spreadsheet give me an accurate consumption figure. Overall it is 33 mpg, on a low annual mileage of about 5000.

Using current Sainsburys prices and assuming you correctly estimated when the tank was back to exactly the same level (doubtful), you used

3.3 gallons, which gives 120/3.3 = 36.36 mpg.

You didn't mention engine size...

Reply to
Gordon H

1.8
Reply to
Pete

hehe at my calculation 27mpg

Not bang on but very close.

Reply to
Pete

How did you calculate that?

The figures above suggest 36mpg as Gordon said.

Reply to
David Taylor

You change gear without using the clutch?

As others have said, you need to do full-tank tests to get any sort of meaningful data, preferably filling up at the same pump.

As a yard-stick, my 1.8 used to do 34mpg in mixed short and medium journeys, rising to 38mpg on 200-mile plus motorway trips. I didn't do many very short (sub 3-mile) trips often, but when I did I would only get just over 30. I always used to fill up by 350 miles; the light would be on by 370.

My guess is that there is absolutely nothing wrong except perhaps your expectations!

My current 1.6 is about 2 mpg better, although somewhat less enjoyable ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I get 30 odd mpg from a 1.8 mainly short trips with air con running and driven enthusiastically

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I entered 118 miles, estimated about 20 litres of petrol and cost of petrol at £133.9 comes up with 26.82mpg

Have I taken a wrong turn somewhere ?

Reply to
Pete

Opps make that right foot hehe

Quite possibly, coming from a 1.6 mk4 golf petrol I got 440 miles per tank which was nice :) depite being classed as a thristy car.

It is quite enjoyable :)

I'll do a few full tank tests and see what I get. Probably the cheap skate in me surfacing.

Reply to
Pete

You said £20 of petrol above, and 20l of petrol now. Which is right?

Reply to
David Taylor

Stop moaning about mpg, get it redlined at very opportunity you dull dull man.

Reply to
Nige

I doubled checked its definitely 118 miles but don;t thinks I said how many litres.

Reply to
Pete

Yeah rag it till it goes in to pieces and I end up standing on a bus stop. I'd rather be dull and drive a car sensibly than hammer it.

Reply to
Pete

Well 118 miles on £20 of petrol @133.9p/l (14.9l) is about 36 mpg.

118 miles on 20l of petrol @133.9p/l (£26.78) is about 26mpg.
Reply to
David Taylor

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 15:56:54 +0000, Chris Whelan dribbled:

I've done two tankfuls in our MK1 1.6 Zetec over the last month or so, averaged out at 39mpg. I know the 2nd one was accurate as Mrs P "forgot" to put any in when the light came on and ran out, so it really was brim- full to empty..

Reply to
Mike P

If you're driving it sensibly it will occasionally see the redline :-) &= =

that's sensibly as in the engine lastingas long as possible, lugging =

around in 5ths far more damaging. But the major issue is estimating fuel= =

consumption from =A320 worth of fuel, that's got so many errors availabl= e =

that there's no way of guessing.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nothing - you're getting about 35mpg which I'd have thought is about right.

You could try filling the tank, resetting the trip meter, and checking the fuel needed to refill after a full tank - that'd be more accurate than your current method.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I ran a 1.8 Zetec from 0- 70,000 miles. Mpg would range from 33-38 depending on time of year, and type of roads, and how much of a tearing hurry I was in. A long motorway run at 70-75 would yield 40+mpg.

It would happily do 420miles on a full tank mostly A & B road driving- say to when the orange lamp came on + another 10-15miles.

Using the a/c cost about 1mpg.

From what you said, yours is about on the money.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On this note, I'd add that I found mine to most economical when allowed to rev fairly freely - say 4000rpm when pushing on and 3000rpm in normal driving between gear changes-better fuel use came from using more than

2000rpm. Perhaps you are labouring yours too much?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

That a good point Tim, I tend to change around 2000 or just after, I could be changing up too earl labouring it a bit. I might give this a go at changing a bit later.

Reply to
Pete