Petrol Treatment

Hello All

Picked up a couple of bottles of Silver Hook brand Petrol treatment (basically injector cleaner)from Rates Ford Parts - only about £2.50 a bottle.

Is this stuff any good considering its half the price of the Wynns stuff?

MattF

Reply to
MattF

I thought ATF was the preferred additive as an injector cleaner, although you wouldn't get that as cheap as £2.50 a bottle.

D A Stocks

Reply to
David A Stocks

See if you can find out what the active ingredients are in the two. You probably won't find exact measures, but if it appears to be similar,=20 can it hurt?

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

I reckon it'll have exactly the same effect for 1/2 the price.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

What'll that be? No effect at all? I cant see how such a small dilution passing through the pipes would be able to do any good. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

A.Lee used his keyboard to write :

I used STP. It does absolutely nothing, if it doesn't need it, but mine did and I found it extremely effective.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well anything can have a placebo effect but if you think your injectors are clogged then they need to go & meet the ultrasonic cleaner/ new nozzles, if they're only slightly clogged then then the lambda sensor will compensate for far more than a miniscule amount of detergent.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan Wood formulated the question :

Then please explain why the MOT mechanic struggled to get my car through its MOT one year due to emmisions, suggested a dose of injector cleaner, which I used and then it flew through on emissions.

Conditions were identical - it was given a good thrashing prior to both tests added to which the MPG shot up from the high teens/low twenties, to a bit beyond the mid twenties without me changing my driving style. If I do modify my driving style I can manage 30+, reasonably easily now, but before my best was 25+.

It now gets a dose every year and each year there is a slight improvement back to the figures it ought to be.

Also keep in mind that the standard remedy was a dose of ATF fluid, which is what these potions are based upon.

Fair enough, I have used this stuff before and agree it made no difference on that particular car, but probably the injectors were clean or too clogged up for it be able to help.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield