Focus Ignition Leads

Ford Focus 1.6 XL 04 Mk1 I posted recently about the engine warning light and was advised to purchase a fault code reader to diagnose the fault.
This I did and at the next occurrence of the warning light, read code P0304 which was Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected. I purchased a set of Bosch spark plugs and ignition leads for a Mk 1 Focus from an on-line supplier. On changing the plugs, I found that the ceramic insulator around the centre electrode of plug 4 was broken and loose which presumably would account for the fault indication. So far so good but when I came to fit the ignition leads, found that they would not fit either at the cylinder block end or at the coil end so I carried on with the old leads with (so far) no recurrence of the fault. I had a look at the leads package and found Bosch Ref B208 which according to the package, is for a 1998/9 Ford Fiesta. I took it up with the supplier requesting an exchange or a refund but they are saying that Bosch B208 is the correct part for a Mk 1 Focus and tough luck - as it is an electrical part they will not exchange it or give a refund. Any comments or advice on this? John Weale
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:09:42 +0000, John Weale wrote:
[...]

It really depends how much time and effort you want to invest in trying to get a refund. A quick Google will show that B208 is indeed not correct for a Focus; have you pointed the supplier in the direction of one or more of those sites?
OOI, who was the supplier? Via eBay? And how did you pay?
Once you decide what to do about the refund, get down to your nearest Ford dealer, and buy a set of proper leads. They are not vastly more expensive than Bosch et al, and may save you the £100+ that a failed coil will cost you if you run with a faulty lead for any length of time.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 14/12/2011 16:33, Chris Whelan wrote:

I am a bit reluctant to name them. I paid by credit card and thought I was dealing with a UK supplier as they had a .co.uk address but it turns out they operate from the Irish Republic which complicates the redress situation. I subscribe to Which? Legal Service so I will put it to them. I may as well get something for my subscription - I know it is "petty cash" but it is a matter of principle. I agree - I should have known better and got OEM leads from Ford but - I thought Bosch would be good quality. The urgency is off FTTB as the fault seems to havce been with the plugs but I will get a OEM setat the next service. John Weale

Another reason to use Paypal. They have no lower limit for a transaction dispute - unlike a credit card company.
--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:58:12 +0000, John Weale wrote:
[...]

HT leads on Zetec engined Fords are considered a service item, and should be replaced with the plugs at 40K miles.
If it was my car, I would do them now...
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 14/12/2011 18:42, Chris Whelan wrote:

Thanks Chris I will take your advice and get some OEM leads this weekend. John Weale

Picking up on that, my Mondeo is approaching 40k, and I've noticed a tendency for a longer starter spin before it fires up, recently. It could be the colder weather, but with a service due in January I'm wondering whether to prompt the garage for a change.
(Maybe it will stop them searching for less necessary work). ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:34:06 +0000, Gordon H wrote:
[...]

Bizarrely, although a 40K changeable item, it won't be done as part of any service.
Unless you are not keeping the car, I would strongly advise getting plugs/ leads replaced at your next service. If a main dealer, check the price; it might save a shock when you collect the car :-)
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Will do!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
On 15/12/2011 22:02, Gordon H wrote:

I fitted new plugs (Bosch) at 38K which only lasted for 30K before No. 4 failed due to a broken insulator around the centre electrode. This seems a bit low - is Bosch plugs quality suspect or is 30K normal? I just purchased a set of ignition leads from a Ford dealer at 79 - ouch! I questioned their returns policy in case they didn't fit and they have no problem with this unlike the Irish outfit who refused to exchange or refund any electrical items. I took legal advice on this and was told that it would not be worth the hassle and expense of persuing it as SOGA and Distance Selling Regs do not apply there. So beware of doing business with an on-line supplier with a .co.uk address claiming to be "The Car Parts Experts" but operating from ROI with T & C stating that Irish Law applies. If anyone need an unused set of Bosch B208 ingnition leads marked as suitable for a 98/99 Fiesta 1.4, let me know.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:57:57 +0000, John Weale wrote:
[...]

This company:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com /
gives a bit of a discount for online sales. It's not much, but every little helps.
(No connection, other than as a satisfied customer.)
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Or pay with Paypal.
--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a shit driver*

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:23:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

You seem to have a lot of faith in PayPal.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:32:59 -0500, The Revd wrote:
[..]

IME, Dave's faith is justified; I wouldn't do business on eBay with anyone who didn't use PayPal, and it's my preferred option for buying online from other sites as well.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

I've used PP when I've had to, but I get loads of junk mail asking me to "check my account" or sort some problem out with my account. If I used it much it would be a pain sorting out any genuine email from them.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 11:08:09 +0000, Gordon H wrote:
[...]

What do you call loads? I've not had more than half a dozen of those in as many years.
Perhaps you need a better email client, ISP, or both!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

It varies. I had hardly anything for a year or two, then they find a way past the Cloudmark filters until they catch up.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

So you go on paypal and set a new unique E-mail address [1] that you only use for dealing with Pay Pal. eg Gords.PayPal1 @ your host name .demon.co.uk.
Then you filter all mail to that address into the folder for pay pal mail. Anything that says it's from paypal that doesn't get put in that folder is an attempted fraud. I don't use TP but it should be possible to set a kill rule with lower rank than the save filter to file the junk in the bin. If the unique address is compromised then it's either you or them. Although PayPal are a prime target for hacking its most likely you, if it's you they will have more than one address (whatever went though your E-mail when the "virus" is active). Fix the leak and change the E-mail address on PayPal and whatever other sites have been compromised. You have lost a few addresses from an infinite pot. (I've lost about 4 in the last 10 years and had maybe 4-6 more harvested from usenet before I munged the addr)
[1] USP of Demon [2], you have as many E-mail addresses as you can make up. So you can use a different one for every site/forum/firm you deal with and have a private one for friends. (Most I just filter into a "sign-ups" folder or some other generic folder when I get the confirmation E-mail, it's only banking, money, personal and high volume higher interest forum ones that I take the step of using a separate folder.)
[2] If it survives the mail system update to MS exchange next month. Current thinking is that pop3 and collect all will still be available and IMAP is being used for exchange webmail.
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

Err no it's not. Many, many ISPs offer the same facility.
In message <216171482345942297.550914%steve%- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org

For some reason I missed Peter's post.
90% of the junk gets marked and filtered by Kaspersky into a trash folder which I clear out from time to time.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply