Focus Ignition Leads

Ford Focus 1.6 XL 04 Mk1 I posted recently about the engine warning light and was advised to purchase a fault code reader to diagnose the fault. This I did and at the next occurrence of the warning light, read code P0304 which was ?Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected?. I purchased a set of Bosch spark plugs and ignition leads for a Mk 1 Focus from an on-line supplier. On changing the plugs, I found that the ceramic insulator around the centre electrode of plug 4 was broken and loose which presumably would account for the fault indication. So far so good but when I came to fit the ignition leads, found that they would not fit either at the cylinder block end or at the coil end so I carried on with the old leads with (so far) no recurrence of the fault. I had a look at the leads package and found Bosch Ref B208 which according to the package, is for a 1998/9 Ford Fiesta. I took it up with the supplier requesting an exchange or a refund but they are saying that Bosch B208 is the correct part for a Mk 1 Focus and ?tough luck? - as it is an electrical part they will not exchange it or give a refund. Any comments or advice on this? John Weale

Reply to
John Weale
[...]

It really depends how much time and effort you want to invest in trying to get a refund. A quick Google will show that B208 is indeed not correct for a Focus; have you pointed the supplier in the direction of one or more of those sites?

OOI, who was the supplier? Via eBay? And how did you pay?

Once you decide what to do about the refund, get down to your nearest Ford dealer, and buy a set of proper leads. They are not vastly more expensive than Bosch et al, and may save you the £100+ that a failed coil will cost you if you run with a faulty lead for any length of time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you are certain the part isn't correct for your car enter a Paypal dispute. Paypal are heavily biased towards the purchaser. You could look in Halfords to see if the leads they list for your car are different to the ones supplied. If halfords still do plug leads. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am a bit reluctant to name them. I paid by credit card and thought I was dealing with a UK supplier as they had a .co.uk address but it turns out they operate from the Irish Republic which complicates the redress situation. I subscribe to Which? Legal Service so I will put it to them. I may as well get something for my subscription - I know it is "petty cash" but it is a matter of principle. I agree - I should have known better and got OEM leads from Ford but - I thought Bosch would be good quality. The urgency is off FTTB as the fault seems to havce been with the plugs but I will get a OEM setat the next service. John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

How ill that help him? Ebay and Paypal won't issue a refund no matter what their conditions say.

Reply to
David Bowman

Pmsl. Fuck are they. PP are a load of crooks.

Reply to
David Bowman

Another reason to use Paypal. They have no lower limit for a transaction dispute - unlike a credit card company.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

HT leads on Zetec engined Fords are considered a service item, and should be replaced with the plugs at 40K miles.

If it was my car, I would do them now...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

eBay won't clearly; PayPal will eventually, if my experiences are anything to go by.

Pretty academic, as the OP has said that he paid by CC...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Over the last three years, with 300+ eBay transactions, I've had all three disputes I've raised with PayPal resolved to my satisfaction.

What are you basing your dissatisfaction on?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My own (very bitter) experience in which I received an empty packet in the post and Paypals response was 'tough'

Never again will I hold a Paypal account.

Reply to
David Bowman

Thanks Chris I will take your advice and get some OEM leads this weekend. John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

Odd, they have to me.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Rubbish, PP will almost always favour the buyer.

Reply to
AC

Same here - but 600+. Only one that ended in a dispute with Paypal which was resolved in my favour. The (few) others were resolved by direct contact with the vendor.

I'm sure it depends on what you use Ebay for, but my experience of it is far more satisfactory than dealing with the average normal shop, etc. Most on Ebay bend over backwards to be fair and honest. Those that don't soon accrue bad feedback.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Chris Whelan writes

Picking up on that, my Mondeo is approaching 40k, and I've noticed a tendency for a longer starter spin before it fires up, recently. It could be the colder weather, but with a service due in January I'm wondering whether to prompt the garage for a change.

(Maybe it will stop them searching for less necessary work). ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

Bizarrely, although a 40K changeable item, it won't be done as part of any service.

Unless you are not keeping the car, I would strongly advise getting plugs/ leads replaced at your next service. If a main dealer, check the price; it might save a shock when you collect the car :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Will do!

Reply to
Gordon H

I fitted new plugs (Bosch) at 38K which only lasted for 30K before No. 4 failed due to a broken insulator around the centre electrode. This seems a bit low - is Bosch plugs quality suspect or is 30K normal? I just purchased a set of ignition leads from a Ford dealer at £79 - ouch! I questioned their returns policy in case they didn't fit and they have no problem with this unlike the Irish outfit who refused to exchange or refund any electrical items. I took legal advice on this and was told that it would not be worth the hassle and expense of persuing it as SOGA and Distance Selling Regs do not apply there. So beware of doing business with an on-line supplier with a .co.uk address claiming to be "The Car Parts Experts" but operating from ROI with T & C stating that Irish Law applies. If anyone need an unused set of Bosch B208 ingnition leads marked as suitable for a 98/99 Fiesta 1.4, let me know.

Reply to
John Weale
[...]

This company:

gives a bit of a discount for online sales. It's not much, but every little helps.

(No connection, other than as a satisfied customer.)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan