Focus Ignition Leads

I know. :-(

Some are addressed to I/Ds I haven't used for many years. They will die down again when the ISP filters catch up.

Reply to
Gordon H

I've little doubt. Even so, they take 2-3% of each transaction for what I'd take to be very little risk. Nationalise the lot :-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob

The bank charges for each cheque paid in. Credit cards charge too. However, posting cash isn't free either. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, now suppose you're an eBay seller...

Reply to
The Revd

Which part of 'pay with PayPal' are you disagreeing with?

FWIW there are countless firms and individuals on Ebay perfectly happy to accept PayPal for payment. Otherwise they wouldn't sell on there - no one is forcing them to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you go on paypal and set a new unique E-mail address [1] that you only use for dealing with Pay Pal. eg Gords.PayPal1 @ your host name .demon.co.uk.

Then you filter all mail to that address into the folder for pay pal mail. Anything that says it's from paypal that doesn't get put in that folder is an attempted fraud. I don't use TP but it should be possible to set a kill rule with lower rank than the save filter to file the junk in the bin. If the unique address is compromised then it's either you or them. Although PayPal are a prime target for hacking its most likely you, if it's you they will have more than one address (whatever went though your E-mail when the "virus" is active). Fix the leak and change the E-mail address on PayPal and whatever other sites have been compromised. You have lost a few addresses from an infinite pot. (I've lost about 4 in the last 10 years and had maybe 4-6 more harvested from usenet before I munged the addr)

[1] USP of Demon [2], you have as many E-mail addresses as you can make up. So you can use a different one for every site/forum/firm you deal with and have a private one for friends. (Most I just filter into a "sign-ups" folder or some other generic folder when I get the confirmation E-mail, it's only banking, money, personal and high volume higher interest forum ones that I take the step of using a separate folder.) [2] If it survives the mail system update to MS exchange next month. Current thinking is that pop3 and collect all will still be available and IMAP is being used for exchange webmail.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Peter Hill wrote: [snip]

Err no it's not. Many, many ISPs offer the same facility.

Reply to
Steve Firth

For some reason I missed Peter's post.

90% of the junk gets marked and filtered by Kaspersky into a trash folder which I clear out from time to time.
Reply to
Gordon H

BT/Yahoo offer this. No spam at all in 4 years.

Reply to
David Bowman

There's nothing to disagree with. But PayPal doesn't offer the same protection to sellers as it does to buyers. It's all too easy for a dishonest buyer to make a fraudulent PayPal claim against an honest seller.

It's an eBay *requirement* that sellers accept PayPal payment. That doesn't necessarily mean that sellers are "happy" to accept PayPal for payment.

Reply to
The Revd

I have had a reply from Bosch Customer Services at Denham who, according to their information, reckon that B208 is the correct reference but have asked me for dimensions and photos of my original leads and the B208 leads which they have forwarded to the Product Manager for HT leads in Germany. Unfortunately he has just left for his Christmas hols so I am unlikely to get a reply before the New Year. I will post the results if and when I receive them. John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

IME PayPal offers no protection whatsoever to anyone.

Reply to
David Bowman

Well, yes. But like any other transaction on Ebay it's wise to check out the feedback. And in this case, it's the seller who is being 'fraudulent' not the buyer.

Then they can sell elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hope you get a resolution. It's not impossible Ford changed something without telling anyone. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Neither does sending cash through the post. Or paying by credit card below a certain limit. And private sellers can't normally accept credit cards anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They can accept cheques. Patience is a virtue.

Reply to
David Bowman

And paying by cheque would have helped the OP in just what way?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must have twisted someone's arm up their back and all the way to mars to get unlimited E-mail addresses included in your BT deal. BT-Yahoo currently only offer 10 E-mail addresses per broadband account. Its better than the last time they phoned me to try to sell me BT broadband, they only offered me 5.

Even the advance BT business package only has 10. At least they offer a static IP at £5/month on top so you could run your own E-mail server but then you have to pay for a Domain name on top.
Virgin 10
O2 domestic and business 10

That's 2x more than the normal offering from many ISPs.

Talk Talk 5.

Saver 5.
5
5, even on a "complete package"
10
But there are a few that offer a higher limit. Tesco 15.

Unlimited E-mail addresses is the exception. For every ISP that offers it I'm sure I could find 10 that limit the number of E-mail accounts.

Plusnet have unlimited e-mail addresses but you have to set them up and can't bulk collect mail for all accounts - anyone n everyone @user.plus.com from one client login. Signing up to a potential source of UCE using a unique E-mail address requires 2 extra steps. One to setup the account on Plusnet and 2nd to enter a new E-mail login with password on your E-mail client. Then you have to select each persona in turn to collect the mail. It's so expensive in time and effort that its not worth doing.

Orange, Freeserve, Wanadoo - unlimited.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Well, yes. But in other cases it could be the buyer being fraudulent. Buyers and sellers are drawn from the population at large. There's no reason to suppose that buyers in general are any more honest than sellers in general. And eBay no longer allows negative feedback for buyers. So PayPal is effectively stacked against the seller.

Of course they can. I'm sure those sellers who have found themselves at the sharp end of PayPal's policies once too often will do so.

Reply to
The Revd

In which case it makes perfect sense to use it when buying things, which was the advice given.

Reply to
Duncan Wood