Focus whine

I recently (July 2003) Purchased a 1.8LX Ford Focus with approx 33,000 miles on the clock.

By October 2003 I became aware of a irritating whine whilst in 4th or 5th gear, the whine is louder when accelerating but dissapears altogether when the speed is maintained without acceleration.

Currently then car has 34,500 miles on the clock and the whine whilst no louder or worse is starting to really annoy, me. I have 12 months warranty on the vehicle and I was wondering if I need to be making use of it?

Has anyone any ideas where and why this noise is occuring and what may need to be done to rectify this.

Thanks in advance! Andy.

Reply to
Not Disclosed

new gearbox is it under warranty?

Reply to
nooneyouveeverheardof

Yes.

Worn bearings, worn gears.

Reply to
Conor

Thankfully the car is under warranty, 12 months from a ford dealer. I am correct in thinking that the service interval is 12 months?

I can't understand how a gearbox could be in this state after 34,000 miles! Conor, you suggested worn bearings - is that in the gearbox or else where.

Is fixing this problem going to cost mega £££s

Andy.

Reply to
Not Disclosed

I'm not Conor, but I'd say stuffed box.. Bearings or related inside are gone. Could be a poets day car, that might explain the premature failure...

Or the fact it's a Found On Road, Dead.

Yep. But if it's under warranty, then no. I don't see how Ford could get away with claiming it's a "characteristic" or put it down to wear and tear.

Reply to
Stuffed

Looks like I will be booking the car in to the main dealer to see what they suggest, does it matter that it's not the dealer I bought the car from?

Andy.

Reply to
Not Disclosed

Not Disclosed ( snipped-for-privacy@login2.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Easy - somebody forgot to put gearbox oil in it.

Or somebody didn't notice that the gearbox oil had all leaked out of it...?

It'll probably cost a lot of money. Whether it's your money or the warranty companies is another question - and not one we can answer...

Reply to
Adrian

Could be one of the rear wheel bearings. A common problem on the Focus. I had one replaced on my 2000 focus last year after about 30000 miles. Ford in USA recalled all their models for this reason.

Reply to
clarky

Out of curiousity, how could it be rear wheel bearing? That would be constant over a certain speed, surely, not vary with full/ part throttle?

Or is there something odd about the Focus that I don't know?

I had a mk3 Escort (still use it sometimes, but it's someone else's repair bills now!) that has very similar problems to the above. Mainly in 3rd, but also doing it in 4th now (is only a 4 speed box). It's more than likely a matter of age, mileage, and the fact the previous owner thought the only oil leak was from the engine.. So the box had run dry for x number of miles. He also said it needed a new alternator, as that made a bit of a rough noise when the engine was cold... Strange the noise would go away when the clutch was pressed though...

Anyone know how to remove a mk3 alternator without bashing the heat shield with a lump hammer to get clearance? It packed in in the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago, so I replaced it for the owner next day. Was a pig to get out as the heat shield seems half an inch too big at the top to allow the alternator room to get out...

Reply to
Stuffed

I will post the results of the service / warranty claim when I report it at easter (need the car for work till then!)

Cheers for the heads up.

Reply to
Not Disclosed

Hi, I have noticed this on my Mondeo, its 2 years old and only has 13k on the clock. I would say its more of a whistle then a whine and its only when giving it some "welly" at high revs that I notice it.

Regards,

James

Reply to
m0bov