Tyresome

Hit 1/2 a brick on road after coming off M1 this afternoon ...... ouch ! Going about 50 mph in rainy conditions swerved to avoid but caught rim. Just my luck as I had just forked out 140 quid for 2 Michelins . Damsge is slight bulge in sidewall ( stayed up tho )

  • dent to wheel rim. Got me thinking ... tho tyre is virtually write write off its only hurt my wallet ! What if it had been a lower quality tyre & had blown out ? Lesser of two evils eh ..

I've put the spare wheel on the front axel as replacement. It's a brand new Michelin Energy * Green* and the other side has a Michelin Energy ( not green mark ) and a different profile. Does any body here know if apart from the profile the construction is the same and if there is likely to be any adverse affect on handling etc. I rarely do speeds in evess of 80 mph.

Thanks for your views

Cheers

Reply to
Andrew

If you mean the profile ratio is different, then beware, and get that tyre on the back where it will have less effect. It could upset steering geometry and all sorts, and even cause your ABS to record a malfunction. Have you considered an insurance claim?

Thanks for reply .. I mean the tread profile is slightly different apart fom that the tyres look identical + both are new . No difference noticed at 50mph with steering or braking . Does fully comp. insurance normally cover tyres ?

Reply to
Andrew

I have heard of it, and it was a reasonably new tyre, and you'll be claiming for a wheel too. As it was impact damage from debris, I'd certainly give them a ring.