Ford cylinder head change

Need to replace the cylinder head on a mk5 1.3 cfi escort.

are there any gotchas i should look out for?

the haynes book says to possibly change the head bolts if they have been reused before. why is this?

is there any way of telling if a bolt can be reused? anywhere that does them cheap?

harry.

Reply to
Mr Harry

Check it for length against a new one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I would assume there whats called 'stretch bolts'best to replace as they may snap,local factor may do them cheap, easy enough to do just replace all the relavant gaskets by asking for a head gasket set when you get the head bolts,and don't forget to tighten the bolts in the sequance recommended for the engine. HTH Simon

Reply to
simon

Compare with a new one. My local engine reconditioners says "buy them from Ford mate, they're not expensive enough to be worth the hassle".

Reply to
Duncan Wood

NEVER EVER RE-USE STRETCH BOLTS. A complete replacement set will only=20 set you back =A310.

--=20 Conor

"The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.=20 And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."

- George Bush

Reply to
Conor

When it's =A310 for a full replacement set, why bother?

--=20 Conor

"The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.=20 And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."

- George Bush

Reply to
Conor

When it's £10 for a full replacement set, why bother?

Quite, considering the cost of doing the job again if the bolts fail to tighten and the gasket blows

Reply to
Jerry.

I was answering a particular point. And the OP stated that they can be re-used once. If it's a stretch bolt and has stretched, that's how you tell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman